Copies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Anton Avis, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Anton Avis

Anton Avis

Dec 13, 2016
    Is there any shame in buying a copy of a bass guitar, ie a bongo if you can't afford the real thing? I've always thought there is shame in doing so but it this a myth?

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Fender copies are cool. All others are shameful.

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    No shame, but it can be a gamble if you're talking about a certain Chinese seller.

FugaziBomb and BassholeKI like this.
  4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

It is beyond shameful, most of them are completely illegal. Many people buy them, I sincerely hope they get garbage for their money.

5. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    To my mind, there is. EBMM has spent time and money designing and developing their basses, and they are the only ones with a legal and moral right to make and sell them. They produce fine instruments and pay their workers a living wage. Those producing cheap knockoffs are making money off the backs of others, and usually short-changing their customers with poor products into the bargain. Oh, and such copies are usually illegal as well, if that matters to you at all.

6. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Beyond the legality and morality of it, as a player you don't get even remotely the same instrument, so if you love how the real thing plays or sounds? Probably won't be happy. Even the looks tend to be way off from what I've seen in threads here at TB - it's like they pick the one that looks the least bad for their sales photos, but shapes and angles and sizes on the bulk of the sold instruments tend to be not correct.

FugaziBomb and jd56hawk like this.
  7. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Personally, I’d rather put the money spent on a copy towards the purchase of the real thing.

8. Any bass is better than no bass.

All well and good folks saying save up/don't do it/it could be junk etc,they ain't the folks with little cash :)

If buying a copy fits the image in your head them do it. Plenty folks started out on copies. Pete Hook and Bruce Foxton to name 2.

G-Z, ELynx, wizard65 and 2 others like this.
  9. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    No shame. Just know you're most likely not going to get the same build quality out of a copy. As long as the sellers and buyers are honest with eachother, there's no issue.

also, it really blows my mind that anyone would be concerned about Ernie Ball/Fender/Rickenbacker etc. being "stolen from." The reason anyone wants to copy these designs in the first place is because they are iconic, popular, and lucrative. They're doing fine. A poor college kid buying a $300 fake Ric because they like the looks of them but don't want to pay $3,000 is not going to put anybody out of business.

10. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Those dudes in the 80s putting Ferrari body kits on their Fieros were NOT potential Ferrari customers.

11. Well said @creaturegods

Hope folks adding to this post keep OT. The OP is asking about copies not fakes, 2 different animals. If stuff like IP starts getting mentioned bear in mind the patent,if one ever existed, for the Stringray preamp expired long ago. It's easy to find on TB.

12. Nev375

Nev375 Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    It's not like we live in a time where inexpensive "legit" licensed copies (i.e. Squier and Epiphone) aren't readily available.

Play what you want though. It's your integrity, not anyone else's.

alesreaper9 likes this.
  13. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado

Good point and one I was thinking of asking. Define "copy". A whole lot of companies have copied popular basses and label them proudly as their own. Fakes are simply posing as the real thing.

dabbler and alesreaper9 like this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you are buying a counterfeit, it is illegal and unethical, and you have no guarantee that it will play or sound anything like original. Start saving your money.

mdogs likes this.
  15. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Actually, the OP specifically mentioned a Bongo. Copies of this bass are not, to my knowledge, manufactured under license from or with the permission of EBMM anywhere in the world. The copies I’ve seen have the Musicman and Bongo logos on the headstock. Which makes them counterfeit and illegal.

16. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    There's copies and then there's counterfeits. A copy that doesn't infringe on anyone's intellectual property may or may not be a decent bass but it's not "wrong". Supporting an operation that steals IP is not good.

Not everyone will agree.

SpyderX, BassholeKI, gungrog and 2 others like this.
  17. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    No shame. But I personally wouldn’t spend my money on a fake. I’d try more instruments and find something else that fits.

18. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I hope not. Here’s my copy of a CS Fender Pino Palladino Precision.

A320D14D-1150-4028-8F8C-93203D328C0D.jpeg

JGbassman and Clark Dark like this.
  19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    OP is not talking custom shop. He's trying to save money from a Bongo. I would guess he is talking illegal counterfeit.

jd56hawk likes this.
  20. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Yeah, I did up a Pino copy, too: IMAG0392.JPG

I used a 50s Fender body and an American Special neck for mine, with an SPB-1 pickup - it's close enough *for me*...

mark beem likes this.