Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Copper foil or graphite spray for shielding?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Le Basseur, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    What do you think it's more efficient when you have an (older or cheap) instrument with nothing in the PU cavities?
    From time to time,I get on repair such an instrument and if it's fitted with single coils,the owner claims a certain ammount of hum.Usually,I used some thin copper and made something like a "cave" beneath the PU but it takes alot of time for cutting/folding/assembling it.
    I have now the opportunity to get a spray can of Graphite 33 from a newly-opened local store,but does it really offers a better shielding than copper?....at least,the spray is more comfortable to work with!
    Regards,

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've never used a spray, but have used the brush-on graphite paint, (will this soon be considered 'Old-School'??), to good effect... The paint works best after several coats, (One certainly won't do it with the brush... can't speak to the spray... you may wanna test it).

The paint, like the tape, is still most effective with a connection to ground... For a 'sure-fire' job, you can use both with no real downside, other than maybe time and effort...

-robert

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Closed because of cross posting.
    Only post the same question in one forum please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.