1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Copper foil tape vs. Aluminum foil tape

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by boyet, Apr 19, 2010.

1. boyet

boyet

May 15, 2007
    Miami
    I know that copper foil is better but will an aluminum foil tape do the job?

2. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Without trying to raise this argument again I will only tell you that I have shielded a guitar with aluminum this weekend with perfect results. After reading what others had to say (you should too) I am convinced that copper is a better solution but aluminum is probably very close.

3. Hi.

While aluminium tape is usually much cheaper and can be purchased from every hardware store, the oxide-layer that forms on top of the metal doesn't conduct electricity too well.

The other big disadvantage of using aluminium instead of copper is that You can't solder to aluminium tape, so all the contacts will oxidize.

Aluminium tape is still better than nothing though.

Regards
    Sam

4. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    It can do the job.

I still prefer the conductive copper tape from Stew Mac. You can solder to the copper, you can't solder to the aluminum. I think that's the biggest difference.