Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Copper Shielding or the Paint

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassTerd, Nov 24, 2003.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have a warwick corvette that comes with the standard paint shieling. I was wondering if
    there is any difference between the paint and the copper shieldin? I pick up the AM radio station in my electronics although It's very subtle, it's there and it annoyes me. Would the electronics cavity benifit from both the existing paint sheilding and some copper shielding? Any other suggestions I could do?

2. Don't double shield, as the resulting capacitance can make buzz problems even worse.

Are the pickup cavities also shielded? Is the shielding properly grounded?

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The shielding paint is a lower quality shield than copper, but definitely do not use both at the same time. Generally the shield paint does an adequate job if it is applied properly and is grounded to the cable ground. Do you have a radio tower close to your location? If you do, you may have a great deal of trouble keeping it out of any instrument. Remember that your pickups themselves are not shielded.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I always use shielding paint in the basses that I make . It works as well as tape IMO plus it is much easier to apply.

Use what you like.

The bottom line though really, is that if you use high quality pick ups and wire and pots you will not have any buzz...

a couple of luthiers that use paint:

Michael Tobias
    Ken Smith

5. Not sure. The only totally quiet pups I have tried are Barts and EMGs. Everything else has some propensity for buzz. But, as a general rule, I agree that you get better results with good quality materials!

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Andy, I've done a couple of experiments using barts, Duncan ASB's, and EMG. I put them in an ash j bass body without any shielding whatsoever.

absolutely no noise. THough i would not make a blanket statement saying that all pups are noiseless. I agree with you on that point.

7. I have the same problem with my jackson bass, which is passive and has a non sheilded cavity. I get all sorts of weird signals picked up in my sound. I kid you not, on one end of my street there is 3 radio stations and at the opposite end there is a large airport...i can't win.

8. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ooooooooops. To bad I didnt get these responses earlier because I already double sheilded the cavity with some copper tape. Didn't know about the capitance thing. I haven't had any problems so far. The radio station is kind tamed though. And this bass is the only instrument that has this problem. All my other cheap ass guitars and basses dont do this. It's only my warwick. So should I rip out the tape and slap some of the sheild paint?