Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

copper????

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dr_love2112, Jun 8, 2005.

1. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
  2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Warmoth has tonnes of it in 2" and 8" wide strips. It looks like you'll want the 2" strips. Chat with the phone consultant to see how long of a piece he/she suggests.

R

3. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    Most hobby stores carry it. Do not remember the brand but a sheet comes rolled up in a square tube. Should do about 5 basses.

Ace Hardware usually has it.

You can cut this thickness of copper with standard scissors.

4. Gentlemen, The strip you see on the Fender Jazz basses from the early 60's that goes from the rear pup to the bridge is actually brass and solders to the brass ground plate under the pickup. The brass is fairly stiff - probably in the .015 - .020 range. You can get this as brass "shim stock" from Grainger or MCS. Don't cut it with your good scissors though - it'll beat'em up and your mom will kill you! :D

BTW, do your body a favor and just fake attaching it to your bridge. Grounding your bridge is a great way to meet your maker in the event of a grounding accident.

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I don't think that is the strip he is referring too. See the pic.

6. Indeed!!!! I have built passive and active instruments (but none with single coils) and I've never grounded the bridge just because of this. I actually never read about the dangers until recently, but was just common sense comming from an electronics based highschool training. You don't really need it if everything is properly shielded.

7. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    well see i got a new body and it dont have the bridge ground wire hole, so yes i will do both!!!

8. Ska8 is right, you were talking about a slightly different area. I read bridge, strip, and ground in the same sentence and assumed it was the brass grounding strip on the reissues and such.

You don't have to do both. The brass strip on top of the body was because they didn't drill a hole through the body. The wire in your pic and the brass strip in my head do the same thing. ;)

Besides, anyone that builds should go down to the hardware store and buy a 3/16" x 12" long bit. They cost a lot less there than at StewMac. Then you can drill wire passages easily.

9. SonicBlueMeanie

SonicBlueMeanie

Oct 18, 2006
    I'm looking into re-installing the brass grounding strip on my 60's Jazz re-issue. It was removed when I put EMG's on it a few years ago. Now I'm a bit hesitant after reading here that this can be dangerous? I can't find any other info regaurding this. If I ground through the body and install the outer strip, am I still at risk. More detail would be greatly appreciated.

10. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    So do I have this right (am doing a build at the moment) I would not need to ground the bridge provided I have shielded the control cavity properly?

The reson I ask is because on my Warwick I can very clearly see a grounding wire running to the bridge.

11. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    In a grounding accident, that doesn't necessarily save you if you happen to touch the knobs or the jack plate. I'm sure this has been discussed before. This is one of my best friends on a gig:

[​IMG]