1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cops kill family dogs over minor drug offense

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by baalroo, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I don't think that about you at all Gard. I like dogs too. However, I've been in some of these houses, where guys like to use pits as their penile extensions, and I would have NO problem with shooting an agressive dog, regardless of breed, in this situation. You may say it's not the dog's fault, that's the way he was raised, and you'd be right, but it wouldn't make the injuries received from the attack any less severe.

As far as a Corgi, there is no excuse. It's a little harmless dog. Is it possible the Corgi was injured by a shot that missed the Pit Bull?

2. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Sorry about the misinformation guys, I've seen this video repeatedly from many different sources, and they all stated the pitbull was caged. My soon to be brother-in-law is a cop and I've had multiple roommates who were cops, so my intent certainly wasn't any sort of blatant "cop bashing." I do think these guys (cops) are put in a lot of really tough situations that they shouldn't be that are unfair to both the cops and the "criminals" and this is just another example of the sort of terrible consequences that arise because of those situations.

It's important to remember that one of the guys in this video felt that he had to shoot a dog, and now has to deal with the reality of those actions. I honestly doubt that he's at all happy about it, if he's like a lot of the cops I've known, it probably really bothers him.

Basically, regardless of the finer details, this is a terrible situation that highlights some of the problems with how we deal with things like drugs and other petty crimes in our society.

3. Agreed 1000%, any situation where the officer is in danger from an uncontrolled, aggressive, LARGE and POWERFUL animal should be dealt with accordingly - protect the officer, first.

As I just posted, the guy using the pit bull as a "penis extension" is more responsible for the action of the dog than the dog itself is, and as such should be subject to the same method of control - SHOOT THE PIECE OF CRAP - in my opinion, at least. ;)

4. I love animals too, but if you truely believe your statement, you should seek professional help.

5. Send the cops to prison with him.

6. This is a great summary of the situation from the cop's point of view. Frankly, if I had been in that situation I might have done the same. In that situation, you DO NOT say 'nice doggie" and hold out a hand. Further, you have only seconds in which to make a decision. Having a big dog in your face, barking and approaching points the decision in one way.

It really appears to me that people with an agenda against cops or who think dogs are as important as people (I respectfully disagree) are using this in an attempt to get leverage to promote their agendas.

7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You either haven't read the whole thread, or are so bitter and misguided, you can't reason properly.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Whenever a story like this pops up on the net, it's wise to assume that there are more facts than are being told, especially when the poster has an agenda. In this case, it was a horrific scene that inevitably will stir up a strong emotional response. I think it's fair to say that the police acted very aggressively, but keep in mind that they are going into an unknown situation, and one oversight could cost lives. The guy is a known drug dealer, so the possibilty of weapons is a reasonable assumption.

Pretty much any observer is going to be traumatized by the fact that the animals were shot, and that the children were present. The drug world kind of sucks like that.

9. Considering the corgi survived, I retract my original statement. Definitely not pleased, but I'm not nearly as pissed knowing a lot more than just reading the first post.

I've been around just enough pits to know that they can be really nice or ticking time bombs, although it was troubling to see my friend's pitbul snap a broom handle in half playing with it. I've also seen people in the ER who were on the wrong side of a pit's jaws. Some people enjoy the breed and some capitalize on them as weapons.

Not to start a flame fest, but I think I'll sit back and wait for facts.

True. I fell for it, so apparently it worked.

10. For shooting a dog in perceived self-defense?

Ever hear this quote from Abraham Lincoln:

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

11. Let's note that children were 'present", but only in the house. They were not in the same room, nor does it appear to me that they saw the dogs on the way out. I suspect they were a lot more scared and traumatized by shots being fired inside the house in the middle of the night.

And yes, if anyone thinks "dogs > people", get professional help immediately. You have a values problem.

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Please cite statistics and source. Even if this is true, a more appropriate statistic would be the number of bite incidents as a percentage of breed population. Keep in mind there are more golden retrievers than any other breed in the U.S., so it would make sense that there could be more bite incidents. When was the last time you read a newspaper article about a golden retriever ripping off a young child's face or killing someone?

13. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The kids are the REAL victims here.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Indeed. Victims of stupid parents.

15. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Honestly, I'm guessing the fact that the people who we teach children are there to protect them killed one of their pets and injured the other will likely have a lasting impact on how they perceive those who sign up to "serve and protect" them later in life. I'd say they are much more likely to grow up with the same sort of "anti-cop" sentiments as I am being accused of having.

I don't necessarily think that these cops acted too far out of line with the normal code of conduct. In fact, if I were in their shoes I likely would have acted in a similar way. The problem, IMO, is that people were put in this situation in the first place.

16. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I just like most animals better than most people. Not much of a "people" person; I'd take a good dog over almost any human roommate. Except Frank Zappa. Maybe.

17. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    EXACTLY. There's a lot of that going around these days.

18. Please check your speculation, and respect my opinion. I've seen too many police officers on power trips.

19. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    From my understanding, they got a tip that this guy was some big time dealer (he had actually served time in the past for conspiracy to traffic cocaine and marijuana). When they got there, they found what the video description called "less than a few grams", a pipe with resin in it, and a grinder. That said, they executed the search 8 days after granted the warrant, so it's possible that he could have found out that someone told on him and disposed of what he may or may not have been selling.

All that aside though, assuming the dog was caged, they shouldn't have shot it. If it wasn't caged, I agree that they have the right to defend themselves--I've heard numerous stories of people getting killed by pitbulls.

20. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Not sure what really happened there seems to be a lot of bullcrap and so little facts. The cop bashing going on is definitely not cool, it just seems that they got fake infos busted and found next to nothing.

As for Mari legalization that's another topic, as for now it's illegal so people shouldn't judge what happened there with these kinds of arguments, it's illegal they have a job to do and they can't choose to not do it because "it should be legal".

For the record I've seen more good then bad cops, some weren't the wisest or the nicest but they were far from total junk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.