1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cops kill family dogs over minor drug offense

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by baalroo, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yanno, this guy is lucky he isn't dead. We established earlier this week right here in Off Topic that death is an acceptable, and even sometimes expected, consequence of a bad decision.

Hopefully this tragic situation is enough for the man to turn his life around and stop breaking the law. Then there would be no need for SWAT teams breaking down his door in the middle of the night.

-Mike

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    The dog was barking, naturally because someone came busting into its house. A shot was fired, the dog stopped barking and there was whimpering from one of the dogs. Then a few more shots were fired.

IMO, it seems like there wasn't a reason to shoot the second time round, as a whimpering dog usually isn't trying to harm you. However, I wasn't there, nor could I see in the room where the dog was shot. So I can't pass judgement. I hope this is addressed though.

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    To me it seems like a very tense situation with a lot of armed dudes in a tight hallway. The house inhabitants were found and contained, and to me it reminded me very much of my own house. A few grams of pot that was probably Dad's guilty pleasure, but overall not enough to be dealing, and not enough to warrant that type of response. There was some bad intel here, and based on the little info I've gleamed from this, I certainly hope that their intel was a lot better than some drug dealer ratting out one of his customers in hopes of getting a lighter sentence. I certainly hope that when someone looking to face time gives out info that could lead to the arrest of another party that his info was throughly checked out before getting a warrant and arranging this kind of response. On the surface, and from the perspective of an nothing more than an internet detective it appears that this intel was not researched. This tragedy appears to be the result of poor fact checking. I'm thankful that only dogs were injured and killed, and that no humans were shot.

I don't necessarily blame this particular group of cops on the video. I couldn't see the dogs, nor the situation the officers faced when they made the decision to take down the dogs. I can tell from the response of the guy under arrest and the family that these were family pets, not dogs bred to kill. As sad as this may be, I think something stinks here, and the turd is off camera.

4. You guys know that all the police found in this guys house was a pipe with resin in it and some bags with pot residue on them, right? That's what was so terrible that they needed to bust down this mans door in the middle of the night, and shoot his dogs, while his child is present in the home. Pot resin.

Here's a photo of the suspect, smoking marihuana and plotting something sinister...
    o_reefer_madness_wsdw1936.
    "After I finish this here reefer... I'ma murder the whole lot of ya."

And then they actually go and charge him with child endangerment. Because, we all know a little bit of pot is way more dangerous than cops breaking in and shooting your pets. :spit: The child endangerment charges and the misdemeanor charge of possession were dropped in exchange for him pleading guilty to the paraphernalia.

"Hopefully this tragic situation is enough for the man to turn his life around and stop breaking the law."

Hopefully situations like this coming to light will make more people realize we need to change our marijuana laws, which have done nothing but fail from day one and cost us billions in law enforcement each year. I kind of hate to be "that guy", but IMO that's the issue here. Things have gotten to this point over a harmless plant and it needs to end.

5. Hi,

This was actually shot in Columbia, Missouri, not Columbus. We don't have one of those.

I live in Columbia and this video has been the talk of the town. The whole thing has been blown terribly out of context, and the video is pretty dodgy about some of the facts.

For example, there were two dogs; a Pitbull and a Corgi. The Pitbull was not caged. The Pitbull was hostile and the officers did their job. Any harm to the Corgi was purely accidental. There's a radio station around here I listen to that portrayed the story as if there was only a Corgi in the house. Didn't even mention the Pitbull. That makes a huge difference.

Bear in mind you never actually see the dogs in the video.

The search warrant they used to raid the home was old, but not expired.

The man had a previous record of dealing.

Everything was conducted legally.

I've been talking to folks about this all week. Being a college town, we have plenty of people that blindly hate the cops already. They've latched on to this video like stink to sh*t, claiming it is a clear example of abuse of power. I starkly disagree and like to make my position known.

Thanks
    -Columbia Resident

6. You'd have a point if what they would find after executing the warrant was known before they executed the warrant. Since they couldn't possibly have known that and your argument swings on the wonderful genius of hindsight.....well, you know.

Mike

7. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    There are plenty of people who are much more militant about that idea than me, but for me, it's just my personal preference. From what I can tell, the cop was just doing what he felt he had to do to protect himself. My preference really only has to do with who I'd rather spend time with generally, not who I think is better or anything like that. ;)

8. It's this kind of ignorance that causes raids like this to happen in the first place (mainly this cheezewiz idiot). Your speculation is STILL running wild, as you assume that my bashing is based on nothing.
    The story in question is nowhere near an isolated incident, further proving your ignorance on issues such as this.

Many prominent bassists in my town have warned me about dealing with these forums outside of the classified section, and now I can see why.

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Damn them "prominent bassists", what shall we do... :rolleyes:

10. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    a good friend of mine had something similar happen, she was raided for weed. her pitty was out of the cage when the cops came in. she did not try to attack them yes she was barking but id expect that since she was scared. only way cinder (the pitty) got in there way was when they were trying to beat down rod (my friends roomate) she was on top of him, they threw the dog then blasted her hind legs with a shotgun

11. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    It is unfortunate that Mr. Whitworth's family had to suffer anguish, and his pets injury and death, due to a sequence of events flowing from his 2003 conviction & incarceration for conspiring to distribute cocaine and marihuana--much of which is peddled to school kids...

12. often legal and right are two different things......

13. Bingo.

Just like Taser. Originally sold as a non-lethal alternative only to be used in place of firearms... then mission creep set in and now kids are getting tazed for refusing to take a bath.

SWAT was originally intended for armed/barricaded/known dangerous suspects - and now they use it to bust in everytime they want to get someone.

14. ? Cheezewiz's opinion of your post caused this raid? Amazing.
    Enlighten us, then. I'm sure it'll "count" more than cheezewiz's.
    You're right, people with criminal records for drug distribution are raided everyday.

If your aim is to drop in and swing around your vast experience in judicial/police procedure while offering little or nothing to back it up other than hints at it's vastness, you should follow their advice. Perhaps they knew this might be a problem.

Mike

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

Goldens are not even on the list. :rolleyes:

I own both a beautiful brindle and an extremely intelligent golden retriever. Neither of them are aggressive. I have been a golden retriever guy for 15+ years and I have never even heard of an aggressive golden.

http://www.obediencetrainingfordogs...s-dogs/list-of-the-top-10-most-dangerous-dogs

http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/List_of_Dangerous_Dog_Breeds

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I just looked at every available list of dangerous dogs on the internet and golden retrievers are on NONE of them. I would sure like to know where you came up with this information.

That's not to say that I disagree with your point because I don't. It is almost certainly ALWAYS the owners fault when a pitbull attacks. If you are not responsible enough to properly train and supervise your "Bully", you shouldn't own one. My pitbull gets his feelings hurt when you yell at him ( FYI, yelling or hitting your dog is NEVER the appropriate corrective action) and has never attacked anything in his life. It should be noted that pitbulls are instinctively aggressive and it is your responsibility to keep your pit out of any situation in which he may become aggressive and to not do so is not only irresponsible to your dog, but the breed in general, as it is idiots who maintain aggressive dogs ( especially pitbulls) who make the breed as a whole look bad.

People who fight dogs or train dogs to fight should be lined up and shot.

17. let's remember that the dog was in it's own home when armed men kicked in the door.....it would seem an appropriate place for the dog to be,and defending the home is why a lot of folks have dogs.......but there are folks out there that will side with the cops no matter how far over the line they go,and arguing with them serves no purpose.....reason rarely convinces dogma

18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

I certainly wasn't arguing against any of your points. I understand both sides of this story and believe me I can empathize or sympathize with all the parties involved. I can tell you that if my door were to be kicked in by cops, one of the first things I would do would be to take immediate control of my dogs and attempt to make it clear to he police that they were NOT a threat.

That being said, if I were the people who's door was kicked in, I would have an attorney right now and at least 2 lawsuits would have been filed.

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I like to think I'm a prominent bassist. After all, I am without a doubt, the very finest bassist on MY WHOLE BLOCK! Also, I know quite a few prominent Detroit area bassists. Perhaps we know the same people!

As far as the rest, it's almost too easy. It's like having a discussion with a brick wall. I tell you what Andy....I'll let you think you have this little victory. Your massive intellect
    just out reasoned me and I bow my head in humiliating defeat.

20. Good idea in theory, but the speed and surprise is generally how an entry team takes control. Regretably, human and canine reflex can potentially end in tragically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.