1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cops Pull PIT Maneuver in My Hood.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by warwick.hoy, Apr 28, 2010.

1. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    This occurred about a half a block from my front door this evening.

http://www.krem.com/news/crime/WSP-...ding-driver-in-Brownes-Addition-92281409.html

(my apologies for the yokels they found to interview)

Browne's Addition is a medium density; pedestrian friendly neighborhood just west of Downtown Spokane. Given the time of day (around 9pm) I think the PIT was justified but with no off street parking for a lot of the apartments around here hitting a parked car was pretty much inevitable. A few hours earlier and it is quite possible this guy could have hit someone walking their dog.

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Whats a pit?

3. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

PIT = Pursuit Immobilization Technique

[​IMG]

4. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Ah, ok thanks.

And I dunno James, that second girl interviewed is kinda cute.

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    "....and all that cool stuff" uh hyuh uh hyuh.

I guess I should give em the benefit of the doubt. I probably couldn't do much better on the spot either.

6. All you gotta do is get a shameless plug for you band, and say something crappy, like "they were goin' fast m'kay". First rule of on the spot interviews: Get the shameless plug at whatever cost.

7. In my area, police run red lights (when the sirens are off) and cause huge pile-ups or hit pedestrians. Of course, they always get off the hook.

I know a few police officers and they're all corrupt. The amount of taser usage in Eastern Canada is unreal.

8. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Here in TO we've had a number of innocent bystanders killed over the years as a consequence of police chasing law breakers who try to flee justice.

IMO todays increasingly computerized new cars should be equipped with devices which can turn off their engines via a secure code transmitted from a police cruiser.

Since such an immobilizing device would substantially reduce overall losses due to theft, car owners could be induced to voluntarily register said secure code with the police via a break in their insurance rates.

Mandatory federal time for those who tamper with said devices or who fail to comply with a police order to stop would be another more proactive tool.

9. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    I am not running from the police but in no way would I want them to have the power to immobilize my vehicle via computer. There are companies who have already started implementing these devices though (Onstar/GM) but to make it Federal Law, no thanks. The cops/government has way to much power as it is why give them more?

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    On the other hand, I got pulled over yesterday for a questionable maneuver I made to get into a turn lane before the light changed. The cop, after questioning me about what I was in in a hurry to get to (I told him I was trying to get my son - in the back seat - to his Jiujitsu lesson on time) let me off with a warning, likely because I treated him respectfully and didn't try to lie.

Several of the instructors at the dojo where I study are police officers, and they're all great guys. My experience with police has pretty much been like my experience with other regular people: some are jerks, and some aren't.

11. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    What I don't understand is why chase them at all when you have a chopper in the air following them. Why not jut wait until they stop somewhere thinking they got away and send the cops then? So many innocent people are hurt/killed in chases only to find out the guy was running because he has a joint in his pocket. :rollno:

12. so your solution is to make everyone bear the responsibility for the few that run from the cops.....must be a canook....here's an interesting idea...why not make the guy that caused the problem responsible,let him sit in jail,and leave my car alone

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    They have that, its called LowJack. However, its is an optional feature offered by most car salesmen, and is most often turned down as it carries additional costs.

14. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    While not a bad idea in theory, its not quite so practical. People have been able to out maneuver helicopters, just by going into a hi-traffic tunnel. Without the police being close behind the runner has the ability to flee the car and head into a secure location where he could arm or barricade himself inside. People would still run from the helicopters, which still results in a high speed pursuit, and still has dangerous potential.

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Where would the cops come from after the perp stops?

16. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    The problem is it is a no win situation. Sure you could put the devices on cars but it would take a ton of $/resources to do this not to mention it would not be welcomed by the majority of the population. Another problem with these devices is the fact that criminals will take them off (whether or not there is a law against it) which means they still would have a high speed pursuit on there hands. You could have a helicopter pursue but a person could potentially hide or drive into an area where the helicopter cannot see them (like MatticusMania said). If we have a no-chase policy then criminals have no one to fear, everyone would just take there plates off there car and never pull over for the police so that wouldn't work. IMO the best thing to do is train the police and to have them determine when it is appropriate to chase (i.e.-you wouldn't chase a kid who has a joint but you would chase the guy who just shot someone.) sometimes it just smarter to let them go. As the old saying goes,” You can run but you can't hide". The law will catch them eventually.

17. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    I live in a little town and the cops recently pursued someone down main street at speeds of more than 85 mph.

The reason for the chase? He ran when the cop tried to stop him for not having a front plate. They caught him at his house (the dope ran right back to his own house).

I was kind of pissed, there are a lot of kids in town and the outcome could have been bad.

They should've just let him go, dopes like that will always get caught in the long run.

18. A universal radio-activated immobilization device could cause a lot of problems. What happens when a stray or accidental signal sets one off inadvertently? What happens if someone rigs a device to broadcast signals in that frequency band and uses it to broadcast signals and cause random chaos just for the kicks, or until a car stops and then run over and take advantage of the situation (robbery, etc.), or worse, what if the person figures out how to target individual vehicles??? Imagine such an illegal device in the hands of a gang doing initiations or robberies or rapes, or in the hands of a stalker or serial killer? Or just in the hands of someone authorized to use it but who is corrupt?

19. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Good point lunarpollen! Just another reason not to have these devices~

20. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    See, you would think 'Oh they only pulled him over for not having front license plates, they should have just let him go' BUT, and its a big BUT, why the hell did he run? Obviously if an offender is willing to run from the police (felony evading) an officer is likely (and I think rightly so) to assume that there is a bigger crime being comitted. Maybe he has an unlicensed gun in the car, a huge cargo of drugs, or what have you. Its idiots running from the cops for not having front license plates that should be put on trial here, not the polices efforts in catching a could be criminal.