1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Copyright question about Parodies

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kuys, Oct 21, 2010.

1. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    So today my director (I'm the IT manager for our county library) came to me and said she wants to do a campy commercial for the library using Neil Diamonds "I'm a believer!" but she want to change it around so that the subject is the library and not "her".

Is this feasible? How much do we have to change to be consider fair use as a parody anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    You might contact Bob Rivers who has done parodies on radio for years. I'm sure he could at least point you in the right direction. Google him and you should find a link. He was until recently a long to Seattle radio show host.

3. Hi.

The way I've always thought it'd go is to contact the party that owns the rights to the tune. Just like when You're recording it as a cover.

They, who ever they might be, will then either give the permission for a fee, or not.

I doubt that he will answer, but Weird Al Yankowiz might know a thing or a two about the legal issues around parodies ;). Perhaps Googling legal issues about his art would yield some results.

BTW, it's really hard to imagine that Your library or county has got zero lawyers who could give you the up to date answer according to your states laws.

Regards
    Sam