Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Copyrighting Songs/Albums?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Juneau, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I was wondering if any of you might have experience with copyrighting your music. I understand there are two types of music copyrights, one pertaining to the written material - to the writer, and another one pertaining to the performance of the material, or the recordings - going to the performers.

Here is a low down. A buddy of mine and I should soon have a completed album. Some of the songs he wrote alone, some of them we co-wrote.

Would we each have to fill out separate copyrights for the songs he wrote alone and the songs we co-wrote, and would we basically send in CD's with his songs on them for his, and our songs on them for ours, and that would cover the entire CD from being taken? Or would we have to copyright the album as a single recording separate from songwriting copyright?

Also, we will be starting a company up as a partnership for our record label. Would starting the company take care of copyrighting the name of the company? Would we also need to separately copyright the name of the band? What about logo's and other artwork of that type?

Any help here would be appreciated, thanks in advance!