Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cordial discussion about DOGHOUSES (DB's), FUDGESICLES (EUB's) and PORK CHOPS (BG's)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Eric Rene Roy, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Gary and I were talking along these lines, and logic would have us ask when we are going to see a KSB EUB?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I thougth electricity was discovered rather than invented. Damned public school system. Time to loose those genuises.

:)

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Never !! :scowl:

4. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    They found light bulbs buried with the Dinos along with 10 and 12 gauge wire? Was is 110 or 220 current back then?

5. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Really??? Seems like a logical step. Why no?

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    They didn't need bulbs or wire -- it was spitting out of the sky. Man did invent way to capture the stuff and use it, though. Like bulbs and wires. :Þ

7. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Why no? Because I see only 2 types of Basses in my world and the EUB is not one of them with the exception of the Ampeg Baby Bass in Latin Music. My Dodd, Gilkes, Batchelder and Martini all work fine with a Pickup as did my 18th century Italian Bass and they all sound and feel like a REAL Bass when played. That's why!!

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Ken, you oughta get your hands on an Alter Ego when you can. You might lighten up about the EUB...

9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    What's your point? I just don't like the way they feel! Is it ok to like or not like something and not have to mention the word 'ego'?

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Naw, ego has nothing the do with the 'Ego.

These are great little instruments -- and feel like a real bass, if you don't look down and get vertigo. At volumes above where you can't hear the bass over the roar of the amp, the AE actually sound more like a bass than most basses...

11. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
  12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The AE, with all the body pieces attached, balances and handles just like a fiddle, negating the need for a funny endpin. I haven't played Merchant's bass, but it gets good press amongst bassists.

13. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    I play the Double Bass mainly in Orchestras and a few Jazz or other gigs. I prefer having a real Bass in my hands. After playing the types of Basses I have owned in my life, I find it difficult to play anything that doesn't shake my innerds.

14. So i take it the camera idea doesn't even merit consideration? :rolleyes:

15. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I think we understand Ken, but we're also a little shocked at the fact that the builder of some of the world's best EB's would have such an aversion to an electrified version of his favorite instrument. Obviously, everybody is welcome to their opinions, but I just find it kinda ironic, that's all. :)

16. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Before I respond, The Camera can't show is what we need to see with the Top actually removed...

Before I made Electric Basses I played Bass professionally. I had a beautiful 18th century Italian Bass. It was even up the E string from the Nut to the Bridge. It 'Sang'.. I wondered then, why aren't Electric Basses nearly as good in comparison? So, then I ventured out to see what I could do about that. Make an Electric Bass from the start without al the inherited problems from the Basses currently on the market. That was where I was comming from and where I am and always will be.

Now, go and play a few Basses in the 50k to 150k range. Learn about their sound and feel. Play them on Gigs, recordings and in Orchestras. Then pick up a Stick looking thing with a Bridge and Strings they call EUB and tell me if you feel comfortable when you could use a fine toned Double Bass with a pickup if and when needed. Now if you play a lower prices Ply or Carved Bass and then use an EUB, I can see how this may help and solve some issues but that is not the type of Bass I use. I only get involved in making the things I would enjoy playing. It's not about business, it's about the pleasure you get from the product that keeps me in business.

Still Shocked hdiddy?

17. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    So then we should all carry along a butter knife and thermos of hot water to look at a bass....................................

:eek:
    :bag:
    :D
    :D

18. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

19. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    No, not really. Even in my own experiences, the EUB's that I've tried have not cut the mustard even when compared to my inexpensive DB. I think it's safe to say that if you compare an EUB to a pedigree DB, 99% of the time you're probably going to be disappointed. However, I think some of us are still open to trying new things for other reasons. That's all.

20. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Oh, did I mention that I once owned and used an Ampeg Baby Bass. I bought it from Manny's in 1968 while still in High School. I gigged on it a little but it never felt like a real Bass. I sold it soon after and stuck with the 'regular' Basses, Electric or Double BS.