Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cords for Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jvtwin, May 3, 2001.

1. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Just curious if anyone might know where I could order a short power cord (about 16" inches) for an Aguilar power amp with a right angled female (amp side) plug. And I did call Aguilar, but they don't have them and were not sure where to look.

In case your wondering why I need one, is so I don't have six feet of cord hanging out of the back of my rack. The right angle would allow me to keep it plugged in the back of the amp when close up the rear panel at the end of the night.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Hey, Joe ( :D ) - Planet Waves makes some right-angled starting at 12 inches. www.planet-waves.com

3. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    jvtwin, most electronics/computer parts supply store, like radio shack, should have some selection of what you're looking for.

4. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    you can use what electricicans call a pig tail..there about 15" long and have right angle u ground plug..you should be able to find at any hardware store

5. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Hey Rickbass - can't seem to pull up Plantnet waves on my computer but will keep trying! Thanks as always!

Ubersam - I've tried local Radio shacks and other eletronic stores but no luck yet. I'm trying a couple online places that claim they can do custom power cord set ups - we'll see.

Pbassfreak (yeah me too) I need the female end in a right angle confirguration, not the male (A/C outlet) side, but thanks.

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey there, I just got such a power cord for my 728 from the LA Bass Exchange. A 3' AC cord with a right angle. Its made by a high end cable company called Tara Labs, and they aren't cheap. There is one snag, and that is that the right angle connector is only available in one direction, the opposite of the AC jack on the 728. After talking a while to one of the gents at LA Bass Exchange who also has this cord, I opened up the 728 and flipped over the AC jack without much problem. Then the cord fits ok, but the cord does hit the fuse holder that sits just above the AC jack, but I haven't had any problems with that yet.

Seems like alot of extra work for a power cord eh?

Thought I had a pic of the rear of the rig with this cord, but that was before aquiring the right angle. Could get a pic put up in a day or so if you'd really like to see it. Otherwise, contact LA Bass Exchange and ask about the Tara Labs right angle AC for the DB 728. Sorry, but I forget the gentleman's name who did this minor mod, but he's there, and they're all friendly.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    http://www.markertek.com

8. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    Dude I was just there earlier today.
    Yep, those Tara Labs cables are crazee expensive.
    I agree, great people to work/do business with.

9. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

10. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I don't buy those silly, megabuck "audiophile" cables. Put your money where it counts instead (strings, bass guitar, speakers). :) If you can't find an appropriate female plug, then consider simply wiring a cord directly to the amplifer (i.e., remove the existing male socket) - you can get what you need at any hardware store. Just be careful when doing wiring in/near power supplies. Good luck.
    - Mike

11. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    The model I got was the AC Special, which is the middle grade of the three they offer at the Bass Exchange, and it cost about $150 I think. I can't find the receipt just now. The sound difference from a superior AC cable is going to be subtle and best noticed during louder volume situations, like a gig. Another consideration when purchasing cable of this quality is not only are they "lifetime" cables, but should something happen to them (besides theft, of course) they will be replaced, and I had become tired of replacing marginal cables.

I also have two of the high grade (Ultima) instrument cables, a 21' and a 3' that connects the pre to the power amp. To me it sounds like more of the instrument's natural tone is making it to the amp. Highs are clearer and the lows sound more natural and a little less restrained than my Monster Cable. Again, the difference is subtle.