Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by r_simonini, May 22, 2002.

1. So do cords really make that big of a difference?
    I have been looking at tara labs vs. monster and george l's but is the price difference of up to $100 worth the quality I am provided with? Any strong opinions?
  2. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    If you have $$$ to burn on hi-zoot cables, go ahead and try them. But if like me, you'd rather spend that money more effectively, don't buy the hype!

I wouldn't waste my money on any of the really exotic "designer cables". For what some of them cost, they should, uh, provide you with intimate personal services... and swallow.

A cable should do the following:

It should reach from your bass to the amp (or the pedals, or whatever).

It should carry the desired signal with a minimum of attenuation and noise pickup.

It should be rugged enough that minor accidents don't destroy it.

If it does get damaged, it should be easily repairable with common tools.

Anything beyond these basic requirements is gravy - and likely of no real benefit.

Now gold actually serves a useful purpose for high impedance signal sources like a passive bass guitar. Gold is the preferred contact material for these signals, because it doesn't oxidize. But chances are good that neither your bass nor your amp has a gold-plated jack. And frankly I'm not willing to pay the going rate for gold flash. Good old chrome plating can do the job just fine.

I have heard good things about George L's, mostly that they sound good, are easy to assemble and repair, and are reasonably priced. The only downside I've heard is that they are not as tough as some others; but at least you can repair them on the spot without soldering.

I have heard complaints about Monster Cables being DOA right out of the package; and I have personally seen cases where a funny intermittent noise went away when a Monster Cable was replaced with something cheaper. Yeah, they have a warranty... but that does you no good on a late-night gig when the store where you bought them is closed AND in another city.

Use your ears and your eyes. Look at the construction quality, listen for the treble rolloff and any funny noises, use a capacitance meter if you can get your hands on one (lower is better for most people). Go ahead and buy on appearance if the cable otherwise suits your needs.

But whatever you do, DON'T let yourself be fooled by sales pitches that have nothing to do with signal integrity and durability.
  3. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I say a cable is a cable with one exception. I got a PLANET WAVES cable with the compression springs about six months ago. No more God awful noise from putting a strain on the cable. These are the only cables I use now.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I bought one of those things and it will not work with any of my nice basses, only me cheap ones. Worst $30 that I ever spent!
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say get something moderately priced (George L's or whatever). After a certain point, the law of diminishing returns kicks in and you get virtually no noticeable benefit from laying out the extra cash. For live gigs, there isn't a soul on earth, audiophile or otherwise, that can tell the difference. In the studio, maybe ... but I doubt it.
  6. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    That's strange . They work great with my nice RICKENBACKER, and it certainly isn't a cheap bass!
  7. See the Guitar player review of cords - I found a copy at

Although the review was done for a guitar setup, the conclusions are valid for bass as well. Although the George L's were rated #1, those close behind aren't really any inferior from an audibility, optimal impedance, optimal capacitance and noise suppression perspective.

I personally like the DiMarzio's at ~ 1/2 the price of George L's.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, they won't work with my Zon, or my Pedulla. Or my Peavey Cirrus. They work fine with my cheapo Peavey Foundation, though. Jason(Warwick5S) said they won't work with his Streamer Stage II, either.
  9. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Does anybody here like the Mogami cables? I checked the archives and didn't hear much discussion about them and was just wondering. Why? I won a 20 gauge Mogami on ebay (it hasn't arrived yet) and was wondering what the general concensus is where bass and Mogami are concerned. I tried one a while back and liked it, what do ya'll think?