Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Core wood for a Nordstrand

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rusty, Apr 4, 2004.

1. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Hi guys!!
    I'm from Singapore, and I'm an absolute n00b here... hope you can help me out a little :)
    I've been spending the last month or so searching for a new bass. After much thought and deliberation (plus endless nights of sifting through hundreds of classfieds and online stores), I've decided to get a Nordstrand! (thanks Adrian!)
    Problem is, I'm still rather undecided on the core wood for it. These are the woods I'm using for the neck -
    Maple and Wenge with Pau ferro fingerboard, with a bubinga transition block.

I'm currently deciding between using Alder, Korina or Tulip as the core wood - which one do you think suits the current setup best? I'm open to suggestions outside of the 3 that I've listed :D

2. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've always been a fan of the more traditional body woods, so my vote goes for alder, swamp ash or maple. I have a bass with a wenge neck and a swamp ash body, and love the sound and light weight.

That said, i've heard some killer basses with a korina body.

3. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    My two fav. bass body core woods!

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Personally, I don't like Alder. Korina will give you a very smooth, deep, mahogany like tone. Korina is awesome because it's much lighter than mahogany. However, given your current woods, I would say that ash would fit very well in that bass. My bass is a wenge/maple neck with an ash body and a maple burl top and I love the tone. Tight, growly, defined, woody. It's not the deepest bass though, and the tone isn't for everyone.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    hey, man! nice to see you here.
    OK, my personal views ( and they are completely unfounded in science, just hunches) are that since I am not particularly fond of heavy midrange basses, I would not use either Korina nor Mahogany for my bass- I like the roundness of Alder and the attack and "mid scoop" of Ash, but for that Ash sound , I have the F basses, so when I researched my choices for my soon to be ready Nordstrand, I looked at Alder and another favorite, Poplar, or Domestic Tulipwood - I went with Poplar because Alder has been done quite a bit and I remember my favorite MTD's were always Poplar bodies- including the Grendel you hear at the intro to my site. I found the wood to be lightweight, very resonant, and it still carries plenty of attack. I would say if you are a fan of midrangey, cut-thru a mix , likely to be used by a player who plays a lot of notes, sound- Mahogany or Korina might be cool - if you are looking for a supporting , fat, sit in a mix tone, Alder, Ash or Poplar would be my choice- but again, those are just my hunches.