1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Corea/McLaughlin on tour w/Christian McBride

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fishtx, Apr 1, 2009.

1. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I saw Chick Corea and John McLaughlin last night at the House of Blues in Dallas...WOW...what a show! Kenny Garrett was also there on sax... AND Christian McBride on Bass, and Brian Blade on drums...

That rhythm section was unbelieveable! Although I thought Christian's electric tone was a touch muddy, his acoustic tone was fantastic, and the interplay between these guys was just astounding.

For gear, Christian was using a GK 1001RB or a 750RB (I couldn't tell from where I was) into a GK 4x10 and 1x15, that he had both up on a table so they were right about ear level with him. He was using a Fender American or Custom Shop fretless Jazz 5'r.

What can I say about Chick Corea...the man is a genius. His sense of harmony is like no other...the chords he plays under the band are sometimes just so "outside and perfect" at the same time...just amazing.

John McLaughlin is a master as well, but he was playing direct...no amp...and his tone was (for me anyway) just to artifical and synthy...I wanted to hear some warm tube tone during his solo's, but to me it just sounded like he was getting all his tone direct out of a couple of pedals, and straight to the FOH...there were only a couple of pedals on the floor, and the only one I recognised from where I was sitting was an MXR stereo chorus...

But overall...what a great great show...if this tours comes your way...GO SEE IT!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  3. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    A bunch of my friends went to that show last night. I would have gone but the price point was a little steep...totally worth it though from what I've heard! Hopefully, some bootleg vids from that tour pop up on the old youtube soon.