Corelli 370m VS Spirocore Solos

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Brad_Pearson, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Just wondering if anyone has used both and has any thoughts? Im using an old set of 370's and I like them. I wouldn't mind a little more punch for pizz on the lower strings.

Arco the set works great for me. I need a lower tension string due to some pinched nerves (my hand goes numb when I work too hard). I play guts on my ply and love that feel. On my carved bass I want the 70's 80's jazz thing (I use an underwood), but with a usable bow sound.

Will I gain anything spending a lot more on spiro solos? I also may toy with the idea of going into solo tuning for my own practice (Bottesini 2 would be a fun practice room challange).

I play mainly jazz and go for a bright and articulate tone (on this bass). I also like soloing with the bow and still practice classical. I may get into a community orchestra again but its not at the top of my list right now.

Thoughts?

armybass likes this.
  2. lurk

lurk Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    Never used Corelli's, but am using Spiro solo GDA (AEH) at orchestra pitch with a Weich E and liking this very much both pizz and arco.

Brad_Pearson likes this.

3. Ive heard that is a very common setup. I have a 3/4 weich E and a 4/4 Mit E as well that I may put back on. That Mittle E is glorious...

4. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I have used Corelli 370 (M, F, TX) and Spiro Weichs (4/4 and 3/4) and Belcantos. I’m thinking about getting a Belcanto D and G with Spiro E and A all in solo gauge but in orchestra tuning.

5. With pinched nerves I would rather use strings with a more stretchy core (which makes down pressing of the strings easier) like gut, wound gut or synthetic core strings. Lower tension steel core might be possible too, but would still be harder to play than strings with a more stretchy core.

Reiska and armybass like this.
  6. Thanks for the suggestion! Ive used a few synthetic core strings. Ive used evah weich and the full synth evah slaps (and a brief stint with an old set of Animas). Really like them down low but they kind of give up in thumb position. Its like the string starts to fight itself and the bass once its length is shortened past the halfway point (the strings octave). I can bow guts but I tend to stay lower on them and try to get the PC vibe going with the bow (on my ply bass). I don't hear much in the higher register with guts, not my sound in that register.

I've always found steels (with little damping material) maintain the open and cello-like timbre that I strive for up there (Renaud and Edgar are my favourites). I really like bowing up high and tend to spend a lot of time practicing and improvising up high (starting to work the prelude of the first cello suit).

I'm finding I can play on the Corellis with a low action and I do ok. As long as I remember not to tense up while walking I can get through a couple choruses of solo without issues. I'm really just wondering if I should refresh the Corellis (my g is getting a little chewed up and rattly, been on and off two basses) or pony up for Spiro solos.

7. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

I find spiro solos to be much darker than the regulars and lights.

Reiska and Brad_Pearson like this.
  8. Thicker strings in general won't work well in higher positions.
    So you have to choose what is the best compromise.
    The prototype G and high C I have from Innovation might be a good compromise, but the D and A were very different for me (and for my string tension measurement device) and they developed the Polychomes from the strings I didn't use, so no set available yet. I might ask them when I'm not as busy as I am currently since these strings are great for hybrid use.

Maybe Compas 180 or Compas 180 SUIT might work for you. But probably not as good as thinner steel core strings.
    Have you tried wound gut? That might work in higher positions as the string is thinner than naked gut. But since th cord is thinner and wound gut is sensitive to climate changes it might not work well for long (possible breakage).

armybass, Randy Ward and Brad_Pearson like this.
  9. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I agree that the Spiro Solos are darker than the Corellis, at least on my bass. Maybe not the cello tone you are after, which I remember the Corellis excelling at.

However, I don't think either string is a great jazz string, not enough oomph for me. Spiro Weichs may give you what you need and Zyex lights are easy on the hands and worth a try.

Brad_Pearson likes this.
  10. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you tried Dominant solos at concert pitch? They have a Perlon-type core and are a pretty good compromise both arco and pizz. I use them on one bass and Jargar dolces on the other. I've used Corellis and Spiro solos (and Permanent solos) and find these the two best solutions right now (I laso have nerve and neck damage, so I sympathize)

armybass likes this.

11. I have a set of 3/4 weich that felt a little to tense. Maybe I should try the 4/4 ones?

12. Ive only tried regular dominants once and I just remember them being tight. How are they in thumb position?

13. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Might help. The 4/4 weichs are about 5lbs/string lower tension. You could try tuning the 3/4 weichs down a bit and see how they feel at lower tension.

DoubleMIDI likes this.
  14. lurk

lurk Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    You know, everything is a compromise. I would love to have strings with punchy depth and the perfect amount of sustain and growl that sing up high and are easy and expressive to bow but ballsy enough for section work and amplify well and are easy on my 70 year old hands. I'll let everyone know when I find them.

15. The 4/4 Spiro Weich are about the same tension as 3/4 solos, but with a bit more tension for the lower strings. Similar to the tension relation on Spiro Orchestrals.
    I have used the 4/4 Spiro Weich on my 4/4 110 cm scale instrument and they felt nice there, should be even nicer on a shorter scale. The only thing I have to care for is not to pluck too hard on the E string. I tried the Mittel 4/4 E, but that was too much tension in comparison to the other Weich strings.
    Remember, there is always my excel file for tension comparison in my Dropbox (Link in signature).

16. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I find the Corelli 370F and 370TX to be better overall compared to the 370M. They are a little tighter, but not too tight.

I’m considering using a Belcanto solo/Spiro Solo combo but in orchestra tuning. I love the Belcantos for orchestra, but want a little lighter tension like Corellis. Not sure what gauge Spiro to get, either 3/4 or 4/4 Solo.

17. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Brad
    I found the Permanent solos to be a bit of work in all positions, including tp; the Dominants are much looser
    Louis

Brad_Pearson likes this.
  18. Yesterday I put the 3/4 Weich spiros on for a couple of hours practice just to remind myself what they are like.

Too much tension for Jazz pizz for me. I actually sounded quieter with them because I had to work so hard to get them moving. I did really like how much centre the notes had pizz and Arco. Compared to the Corellis there was a little less edginess under the bow (keep in mind my Corellis are old and might be doing some funky things with their overtones) and more clarity to the note. I found it easier to hear my tuning when playing Arco. But harder to actually play in tune because of having to work harder with the left hand.

Im starting to really consider a set of 4/4 weich now. Texture wise I really like how the spiros felt. A little less rough than the 370's. I didn't find them hard to bow. I played Spiro mediums while studying classical in school, and bow plain gut on my other bass. I've never understood the "spiros are hard to bow" thing...

More pondering. I have two jazz gigs this weekend so I'll see where Im at after that. I usually dig in harder on gigs so thats where I may want a touch more tension that the 4/4 weichs would give me.

Would anyone be into trading a set of 3/4 Weich Spiros for a set of 4/4 Weichs? I guess I should start selling some string soon. This is getting expensive...

Another little aside: An AMAZING musician named John Lee was over to the house last night and the night before. He played my carved bass with the Corellis with no amp. In a small den with drums, an upright piano, and a sax. I could hear him very clearly both walking and soloing with the bow. I don't think I'm loosing any volume with them on this bass. Any shortcomings on projection are probably my own, not the strings.

jallenbass and armybass like this.
  19. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Which gauge of Corellis are you using?

20. The lightest ones called medium. 370m.