Corelli 380 TX

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by gruffpuppy, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Any users?

I have a pretty new Swingmaster and I am hoping to improve the volume.

I had a set of Obligatos on it, sounded great, no volume.

Put on some Corelli 370's Great for bowing, good volume, to darn thin.

Using Spirocore Solos, Best volume, nice to finger, kind of noisy under the bow. My teacher is bowing the same strings and I can bow them with no problem but his are also about 8 years old.

Any views?
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The 380's are thicker than 370's. (they're nickel instead of tungsten)
    You tried 370TX?
    When you say:
    What do you exactly mean by "too thin"?
    The sound or just the gauge?
  3. Sorry Gauge seemed thin.

They were 370M

I have the 360M's on a China Bass and those are real thin in the gauge department. They are good for that bass with its 3 inch string height.

What I hope to gain is a string that bows nice and opens up the basses sound.
  4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The 370s are also available in Forte gauge (370F) and Extra-Forte (370TX) although the 370TX is quite thin in gauge.
    This is due to the tungsten wrap which is a heavy metal, therefore you need less of it to get the required mass.

The 360s are solo-tuning, so they're the thinnest gauge.

The 380s are thicker than 370s because they use nickel wrapping, which has less mass than tungsten.
    They also sound a bit darker I think. They're quite inexpensive too.

However I don't like the E string of the 380TX set.

Did you try Helicore Hybrids?
    They're maybe the loudest strings I ever tried, but YMMV.

Your bass will react its own way to the tension of your whole set.
    I had a 3/4 hungarian plywood once which sounded wonderful with Thomastik Superflexibles, but ordinary with Spirocores, which are higher tension.
  5. I have a set of Hybrids in my closet, maybe I should put them on this weekend. I didnt like them on my cheaper bass but who knows.

The plain sound is what I am talking about, kind of like a compress tone. If I play arco with a lot of energy or force the bass really sings. But I feel I should be able to get the same tone with out the amount of energy.

Thanks again.
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    try the spiro weichs. I get quite decent bowing out of them (for a hack) and they pizz great, with good jazz growl.
  7. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Corelli 370 TX is what Lynn Seaton was using, and they are a little thin for my taste, but they sure sounded good on his Juzek.

8. robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
    I have the Corelli 380TX strings. I probably don't have enough string comparison experience to give you a good review though. I started with an old, unknown flatwound steel string on my bass, and went to Supernyl nylons for slap playing. When I started playing big band I was unhappy with the supernyls. Then I went to Corelli 380TX, the sound improvement was huge in both volume and tone. I didn't like the diameter of the D and G though (way too thin for my liking - with my high action). Soon after I went with a plain gut D and G and have been there for the last year or so. I like the Corelli string, but am thinking of the next change with either Obligato, Eudoxa, or Oliv for the E and A.

I don't have any bowing experience yet, so can't help you there.

My D and G were only used for about two months; if you're interested I can send them to try out. Or if you have another set to trade (like Obligatos) I might be interested. I bought the set last October.