Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Corelli 380's v. 370s?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bdengler, Mar 9, 2005.

1. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    My doctor advised me to play on a bass with a shorter string length with lighter gauge strings to help me overcome what has turned out to be a touch of arthritis and pulled ligaments in my left index finger (the joint where my finger meets the hand). Apparently, the ligament is so badly stretched that I have to grip harder to compensate for the "wobbly" nature of the finger, which is causing swelling. My bass has a 40.5 inch string length, so its fine. My teacher suggested going to Corelli's. I know that the 370's are Tungsten and the 380's are made from other materials. Between the 380's and 370 TX's (medium gauge), does anyone have a recommendation on which of the two types of strings would be better for arco? Or does anyone have a recommendation of other low tension strings that would be good for arco?

Thanks, Brian

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The 380 series are wrapped with nickel.
    However please note that the 370 series D&G are also wrapped with nickel.
    Only the E&A are wrapped with tungsten.

The tungsten sounds brighter than nickel.

Other low tension suggestion: solo-tuning strings tuned down at orchestra pitch.

3. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Francois,

Thanks. I didn't think of going the solo route. What a great idea. What should I use? Helicore solos?

Brian

4. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    If you like Helicores, it's a possibility.
    Even Corellis are available in solo, which makes them very thin.
    Most Pirastro strings are also available in solo gauge.

5. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I have 380 XFs on now with a 370 E. If a more powerful pizz bottom end is not important to you, I'd opt for the more affordable 380s. The last time I checked, SouthwestStrings had them under $60. Be advised that a lot of the Southwest stock is back-ordered. Quinn or Lemur are better bets if you need a quick turnaround.

6. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I tried the Corelli 380's on a Kay bass and I was very disappointed. The pizz response was so-so and they were very hard to bow. They had a funny surface on the outer wrap that felt kind of rough. I can't speak for the 370's because I've never tried them, but this seems to be the Corelli string everyone prefers,

- Steve

http://kaybass.home.att.net

7. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have the same arthritic problem, and have used the Corellis for about 2 yrs now (on my second set). They really make a difference on the hand. You may give up a little in volume but they allow me to spend more time with the bass.

8. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Louis, which Corelli strings do you have? The 370's or 380's? They are much easier on the hand. I'm looking for the Corelli that would be the better arco string.

Thanks, Brian

9. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use the 370's (I've never tried the 380's so I can't say). The 370's a very good with the bow, but the take a few days to a wek to warm up and can sound tinny at first. The G string may sound thin, but it's been my experience in (solo) performances of my show that it carries better than you think. They do take a little getting used to.

The important thing for me is that when I use another bass (even my other bass with the Jargars) I certainly feel the pain in my hand a lot sooner in my hand than I do with the Corellis. So for me the trade off is simple - give up a little (very little) tone quality for more playing time.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Louis

10. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Louis, one more question. What color are your string windings? I think I have a set of Corelli 380's (they may be TX, I don't know), that have blue and black windings. But the G string has an all black winding with a red tip. Could the local violin shop given me a mixed set?

Brian

11. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    All of my 370's are black with red tip wound, so much hunch is that somebody goofed and mixed a set somehwo, but I couldn't say for sure. Is there any noticeable difference sound of "feel"-wise?

12. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Red tip on black is 370TX.
    Blue tip on black is 370M.

380M = dark green
    380TX = yellow tip on black.

370F = orange tip on black.

13. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    I'm still confused. Would the red tip on black be 370TX forte's? Regarding the blue and black spiral wound, would the 370M's still be a tungsten string?

Thanks, Brian

PS...Francois, I'm impressed with your knowledge of windings! :D

14. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    I'm still confused. Would the red tip on black be 370TX forte's? Regarding the blue and black spiral wound, would the 370M's still be a tungsten string?

Thanks, Brian

PS...Francois, I'm impressed with your knowledge of windings! :D

15. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    370 series = tungsten.
    They're available in three gauges: medium, forte and extra forte (M, F, TX).

380 series = nickel.
    They're available in two gauges: medium and extra forte (M, TX).

16. lincland

lincland

Nov 8, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    they must have changed the wrapping. I have an old set of 370 mediums (forte) and they are yellow with a black spiral in the wrapping. The heavys that I've seen are blue with a black spiral.

I just ordered a set of 370 TXs and they are black with red tip. I thought they screwed up...but after reading here...(like I said) I guess they changed the wrapping.

BTW...I just saw Rabbath play, and his were the blue with the black spiral which I guess are the old 370TX's. So I'm guessing they changed the wrapping recently.

Yes?

Lincoln

17. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    They may have changed the colours indeed.
    I was giving the colours from a Savarez catalog which must be about 10 years old!
    I *think* Rabbath uses the mediums though!

18. basswraith

basswraith

Mar 10, 2003
    Boston
    You would think that Rabbath would use the mediums, however...like I mentioned, I saw him play up close and talked to him. He uses the heavys...(TX)...they were blue with the black spiral thread. He specificially talked about this...(it was a series of clinics and a performance)...Lynn Seaton played duet with him during the encore...Lynn uses the Mediums. Rabbath talked about his setup and the angled endpin, bow pressure, left hand technique, and also mentioned the strings how people think they might not be loud enough, but he is able to fill a concert hall...so that was loud enough for him...he said, "I use the heavy set, Lynn uses the mediums, they sound great...it's beautiful."

I've tried both...the heavys are lighter than Spirocore Weichs, but have lots of tension.

Lincoln

19. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Thanks for the great info!

20. lincland

lincland

Nov 8, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Sorry, I made a big mistake...I checked with Savarez about the color, and it seems I'm wrong. They said that Francois uses the 370M, which are actually the lighter ones. I SWEAR I thought he said that he used the heavy ones. Now I have no idea what he said. If you've ever heard him speak this is not hard to understand how it might happen.

Anyway: 370M - blue wrapping with black silk spiral - medium tension

370F - Orange (more yellowish really) with black silk spiral- high tension

370TX - Black with red tips - high tension and thicker than the 370Fs. comparable to Spirocore Weichs on the G, and D, but the A, and E are thinner.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll shut up now.

Lincoln