Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Corelli 380TX E String

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by kwd, Aug 31, 2003.

1. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I've done a lot of thread research on viable hybrids. Also, many of you have responded to threads I've started -which has been extremely helpful. It seems that Varicor Excel and Pirastro Flatchome Steel are the only hybrid candidates free of significant compromises or shortcomings. The next in line is the Corelli series (370 or 380). Corellis seem to have one drawback, namely that that G string is too darn thin.

I ended up making a decision based on cost and buying an E and an A 380 TX from Southwest Strings. I love the way these things bow. I started playing some arco studies and I could negotiate passages that I couldn't with the Helicores. I know that I could progress with my arco a lot faster with these and that's worth a lot. But the E is a little dark and thuddy for jazz. Is the tungsten E (370) any brighter?

Corellis are so atypical that that don't mix and match to well with other strings. You have to go with the complete set. If the 370 has a brighter sound I think that combination would be perfect for me.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Yes, the tungsten series are brighter than the nickels.
    It's funny because last week I ordered a solo-tuning 380TX (nickel) A string for testing.
    I want a darker tone.
    I tried a 370M A but it was much too floppy.
    I hope the extra-forte tension in solo gauge will be a bit more tense. (nickels in forte tension are not made AFAIK, e.g. 380F)

3. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Francois

Thank you for the reply. As always, it's helpful. I kind of figured as much about the 370s but I just wanted to confirm before spending more $$.

I've noticed that you can't get 380s in forte. Also, Quinn Violins seems to be the only outfit that allows you to purchase an individual 380 Extra Forte.

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Lemur Music sells them individual too.

5. KWD -- when you've got a chance, let us know how the Corellis are for jazz pizzicato. Thanks.

6. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I don't expect to receive the G and D strings for a few days so I can only speak for the E and A strings right now.

As I said in an earlier post the 380TX E string is dark, but I'm really happy with the pizz sound I get from the A. I put the Helicore Orchestra E back on after playing the Corelli 380XF E. The Corelli is better than the Orchestra for jazz. I can get more sustain out of it and I think I get a little more volume than the Orch. The E is not as good as the Helicore Hybrid E for jazz pizz though.

I'm not sure if I'm going to bother getting the brighter 370TX E, but I'm focused more on arco playing these days. I may just stick with the 380 E and put on my Helicore Hybrid E for jazz gigs.

I'll follow up when I get the D and G strings on.

My teacher told me that Corellis are kind of hit and miss. They sound fine on my bass(Christopher Hybrid) but I don't think they would sound good on a laminated bass. I think I ran across a post where someone was getting little if any output with Corellis on a laminated bass.

More later.

7. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I thought of a few more specifics about the pizz sound. I played the line for Alone Together in the key of Eminor which allowed me to start the line on the E string. I was happy with the sound I got from that. I could hear the pitches loud and clear. However, the acid test of an E string to me is All Blues. When you come down on the G in beat one you really need to hear that loud and clear. That's where the 380XF fell a little short. But it sounds as if that could be remedied by the brighter sounding 370 E.

8. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I've since received and put on the G and D Corelli strings. My overall assessment is still good. My playing is about 75% arco, 25% jazz pizz making this an ideal string for me. For players more concentrated on jazz there are probably better hybrid alternatives. Southwest Strings sells the set for $63 and they waive the shipping for string only orders over $30.

I went through my lesson routine with the strings on and was able to get through the arco passages much easier and get a more gratifying arco sound.

The strings are thin with low tension making them easy to play. The thin D and G took a little getting used to but there's enough there to grab and hang onto. I was overplaying the strings for the first half hour. After I started to hold back I was really digging the jazz sound I got from them. The pitches come through loud and clear, a lot of fundamental. The sound probably doesn't have the complexity of other strings but I prefer the clear pitch over the complexity.

The downside continues to be the lack of power in the E string. Players who are used to digging in on stiffer strings should allow time to adjust their playing style accordingly.

-kevin d.