Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

corelli gaure query

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by shwashwa, Nov 4, 2004.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i put medium corelli strings on my bass and they sound great arco and ok pizz. they're old now and alittle beat up from taking them on and off basses, so i'm thinking of getting a new set. i have the mediums. i feel that they bow extremely well and are a dream on the left hand. the thin diameter doesnt bother me, i actually like it. i think the g string may sound alittle thin pizz though. i'm thinking of going to the next gauge, the forte. i still want low tension and a good bowability and nice pizz tone and thinner diameter than say a weich. can anyone comment on how the forte's will compare to the mediums?

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Sorry I can't comment on the mediums since I have no experience with them, but I had Fortes on my bass for a while and now I'm ready to go to the TX instead. The E on the Fortes was just too flappy, and I thought the G was still a little thin too. Bob G's site says that the TX is not much more tension than the Forte's. Hopefully the thicker gauge will give everything a little bit more of a snap. My guess is that the TX should still be low tension.

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    cool, thanks for the info. so you're saying that the fortes can bow easily too? let me know how you like the tx.... keep the replies coming!

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, the forte's seemed pretty easy from the get-go for my newbie skills. However, my bass teacher seemed to bow with ease on the Corelli's when he would play on it for me. He even sounded better on my Chrissy hybrid than he did on his own Juzek w/ Spirocores IMO. I should add that he was classically trained as a bassist too. He seemed to like them alot and was thinking of trying Corelli's but I think he went to gut instead.

It'll be a while before I try the TX's tho... I have some Kolstein Heritages on the way and have been waiting to try them. I'll go to TX's if I end up not liking them. We'll see.

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    According to a Savarez rep I got an email from, the highest tension are the F.
    He said the TX are a special version of the M gauge, with a different construction, in order to get more brilliancy out of them, but the tension is not as high as the F.
    I have a set of F here, and I find them quite low tension, at least in comparison with other steel strings.

6. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I have had 370M's on my plywood bass for the last year or so and recently switched to TX to try and get a little more volume for acoustic playing. I really like the TX G,D, and A strings. The bass is noticeably louder than with the M's and I like the tone much better than Spiros.

However, the E string on my bass doesn't seem to sustain as long as the others. It was getting bad with the M set, so I am not sure if my setup has moved or I just became pickier about it. I have been following the "low volume E string" thread in the Setup forum and several members have recommended a higher tension E for that thread's originator. Francois, any thoughts how a Spiro E would work with my Correllis? Any other candidates for a higher tension E?

7. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The Corelli F gauge E string also sounded weird on my EUB, in comparison to the other strings. Possibly a design problem.
    The medium Spiro would be too strong, IMHO.
    I'd look at either Weich Spiro, Superflexible, Super-Sensitive Supreme, Super-Sensitive Pinnacle.
    HTH!
    (I have a Pinnacle E on order, BTW)

8. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Thanks Francois, I thought you may have an opinion. I will probably head down to the local shop tomorrow and see what they have in stck. I'll be sure to post my findings when I try something.

9. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  10. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the link. When you say too strong for the Medium E, are you talking about feel (stiffness) or volume? The TX strings are pretty loud and full sounding on the other three strings.

11. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Both, but of course your bass may sound well balanced with it.
    In terms of feeling, it'd be quite unbalanced though, in my opinion.

12. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have Corelli Fortes on my DB at present and they made a huge improvement over the D'Addario Helicores that were on it when I bought it. My bass likes the lower tension, as do my fingers, and the tone between strings is remarkably consistent - I have no complaints about the E string at all - it sounds big and loud on this bass.

If anything, my criticism is of the G, which is sounds a little fretless-bass-like: a little thinner and more metallic than I would prefer. I'm very keen on trying Obligatos, so I may try to get just a G string to see if I like that before I jump in and change the whole set.

13. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I'm sorry to say I don't like Obligatos at all.
    The G in particular is clear and nasal on my EUB.
    I also had the opportunity to try an Upton plywood recently, with Obligatos D & G and didn't like them either on this instrument.
    Thin and nasal.
    If you want to try a warm G, look at the Flexocor '92, the Jargar and the Innovation braided. They may, however, be too warm in comparison to the Corellis.
    The thin gauge Flexocor '92 might be a nice choice.
    I have one collecting dust in a box, if you're interested...

14. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd love to - anything that helps me make string choices without buying a set of every type (at $100+ a shot) is very welcome. :)

I'll write a review here so that everyone can benefit from my experience.

Private message sent.

15. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    "Both, but of course your bass may sound well balanced with it. In terms of feeling, it'd be quite unbalanced though, in my opinion."

Thanks again Francois. I think the Weich E is a good call. I installed one last night and it looks promising. Sustain and volume are pretty similar to the other strings and I think the tone will be fine after it settles a bit. I'll give it a good workout at rehearsal tonight.

16. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Got it yesterday and I love it!
    Warm but clearer than the Flexocor '92 E I was using, a little more volume, better sustain and growl.
    Remember I'm playing an EUB.
    Ordered an A!
    (using Original Flexocors for the D and G. Love them)
    I'd really like to try a full set of Pinnacle on a good acoustic!
    :)

17. delbass

delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Francois-
    How exactly do you put the rubber ring on the orig. flexocor G? Do you keep the string going through the middle, or take it off and wedge it under the string? Thanks!
    -Del

18. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The ring filter sits on top of the bridge so that the hole in the middle is directly on top of the groove of the bridge. The string goes on top of the ring so that it sits in the bridge groove. You don't thread the string through it.