Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Corelli information

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Francois Blais, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi.
    I recently contacted Savarez (makers of Corelli strings) to gather informations regarding the tension of Corelli bass strings.
    Here's the message (in french):

Cher Monsieur,

Nous vous remercions de votre e-mail du 25/08/2003 auquel nous nous faisons un plaisir de répondre.

Les cordes de la série Corelli Tungstène ( (Jeux Accord Soliste :
    360M, 360TX
    - Jeux Accord Orchestre : 370M, 370F, 370TX) font appel à l'usage du tungstène et à une technique de filage exclusive aux cordes Corelli.
    Les cordes obtenues grâce à cette technologie présentent un calibre plus fin que les calibres
    habituels des cordes traditionnelles. Très faciles à jouer elles offrent des possibilités d'expression accrues. En particulier les cordes Forte de cette série offrent la même facilité de jeu que des cordes de tension inférieure.

Dans cette même série les jeux que nous désignons avec les lettres "TX" :
    360TX (Accord Soliste) et 370TX (Accord Orchestre) bénéficient d'une technologie innovante exclusive à Corelli. Les cordes "TX" sont traitées différemment pendant le processus de filage de la corde. Elles offrent plus de résistance sous les doigts et apportent l'avantage de plus de puissance et d'une réponse amplifiée sous l'archet. En outre, elles offrent toutes les caractéristiques
    présentées par les autres cordes Corelli Tungstène, plus une sonorité plus brillante
    et un son plus direct.

La tension des jeux 360TX et 370TX correspond à une forte tension. La tension du jeu 370TX est légèrement supérieure à celle du jeu 370M, mais elle n'est pas aussi forte que le jeu 370F, et même chose pour la tension du jeu 360TX qui est légèrement plus forte que celle du jeu 360M.

Progressivement le jeu 370TX a pris la place du jeu 370F. Il se vend plus de jeux TX que de F, mais la demande de jeux F reste stable au cours des années.

Nous espérons avoir répondu à votre question. Si vous avez d'autres questions et souhaitez recevoir des informations complémentaires sur nos différents jeux, n'hésitez pas à nous recontacter.

Meilleures salutations,

Bernard MAILLOT

-----
    SAVAREZ
    B.P. 133
    69643 CALUIRE et CUIRE Cedex
    France
    Tél. : +33 (04) 37 40 32 00
    Fax : +33 (04) 37 40 32 10
    e-mail: ssavarezBC@aol.com
    www.savarez.com

My surprise in reading this, was that the tension of 370TX strings is slightly higher than 370M, but lower than the 370F, which has the highest tension!

Wanted to share this with you.
    Regards,
    François

2. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks for the info François.

They also say that the 370F are as easy to play as strings with less tension.

So, if I understand this correctly, the 370F strings are actually high tension strings that feel and play like low tension strings?
    Strange ...

KN

3. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Norre

As odd as that sounds, it's accurate. Check out what Bob Gollihur has to say about them on his website(GOLLIHUR.COM). He opts for the Forte over the Extra Forte and ease of playing is his primary concern.

4. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    After hearing good things about them and noticing the cheap price, I decided to get a set of Corelli 380 mediums to replace my worn out Spirocore Weichs. I have to say, I like the tone of the strings, they sound great bowed, but the E and A string in particular (but all of them) sound a tad quiet for pizz. Is the "TX" set thicker? Or maybe I would prefer the 370F?

5. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    The mediums are thin by most standards. I have TX and the gauge is smaller than the Helicore Hybrid mediums I had on before. I think the line is geared toward arco-solo but the heavier gauges are well suited for jazz. All of the thread research seemed to only recommend the Forte and Extra Forte gauges for jazz players.

Check out the "Corelli 380TX E String" thread. To me, there is going to be some level of compromise with any hybrid. The compromise is the lack of power in the E and A strings.

6. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    lermgalieu

I don't think I gave you a straight answer. The TX(Extra Forte) is thicker, it's the thickest with the Forte gauge right below that and then medium,... solo. The original post on this thread from Francois pointed out that the Forte gauge actually has a higher tension than Extra Forte so you may get more sound out of those.

7. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dang, I wish I had read more closely before I ordered them. Sounds like I clearly need more meat! Thanks...

8. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Anyone wanna buy some 380M's? Barely used...

9. I'm contemplating a switch from Obligatos to Corelli Fortes. My nut was modified to accomodate the thicker-gauge Oblis, so will a switch to the thinner-gauge Corellis require a new nut?

10. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Mike

I don't know if you'll need a new nut to go down to the Corelli gauges. But you might have better luck getting an answer for this if you post it in the "Setup & Repair" forum along with the specs for the strings. If you're thinking of 380s, the Extra Forte and Forte are pretty standard in diameter. The 370s are a different story altogether.

kevin d.

11. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Francois

I'm having a little trouble identifying a set of Corellis that came with a small Tyrolean bass (which was originally a three stringer!)

Bottom windings are:
    G = gold, D=red, A& E light blue - all have black tip.
    They sems fairly new, but I think I'd like to eventually put gut on the bass (after it has some work).

Any ideas whaty this mixed set might be?

Thanks

Louis

12. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Could the gold G be orange?
    That'd make it a 370F.

The red D could be a 370TX.

The blue A&E could be 370M.

Additionally, the peg end colors should be:
    G: yellow
    D: violet
    A: black
    E: blue

13. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vous avez gagne un kilo de sucre, Monsieur!!

Correct on all four peg windings (the fourth - D - is being held in place for the moment with a large cello peg!) - yellow/violet/black/blue --

Any advantage to this arrangement (It doesn't sound bad at all) over a unified set? I generally use the 370TX's.

Like I said, we are planning to "go gut" once all the main work is done
    (I'll post phtotos soon)

Thanks.

Best,

Louis

14. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Merci mon cher!
    Puis-je le changer pour du chocolat? :)
    If it doesn't sound or feel unbalanced, then there's no problem!
    The tone will be drastically different!
    Keep us informed!

Regards,
    François

15. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I definitely will (keep you informed). What we'll probably do is put on a gut G and see if we REALLY want to do this - but it might make a nice little chamber music bass when all is said and done. The Corelli "combo" seems to work fine; Jargars might another way to go.

More soon (with pics)

Merci -

Louis