Corelli strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Post, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Post

Jan 6, 2004
    Who knows something about these strings ?
    Are they ok ?
  2. JonB

May 27, 2003
    which ones?
  3. Post

Jan 6, 2004
    oops ! Corelli 370F Forte Strings, thanks !
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I played a plywood strung with 370s. Pizz only. They were a little bright and edgy. Very easy to finger though.

Overall the tone was a little honkish, but that may have been the bass itself.

IIRC, they can be bowed. I know all hail Bob Gollihur prefers them and offers them on his site at a very reasonable price.
  5. martinc

martinc Supporting Member

If you want a string that is not as thin as the 370's and has more body.....try the 380TX's.They have about the same tension as the Spirocore Weichs or medium pizz or hybrid Helicores.
    I used the 380 TX's for a while for pizz on my old Kay and liked them. They are supposed to be good for arco too.

Martin Chapman
  6. JonB

May 27, 2003
    Don't know about the 370F's, I've only used the 370tx's, but apparently, they are fairly similar.
    Actually, Francois found that the tx's tension is between the F's and M's.
    Some people don't like the fact that they are really thin.
    The tx's bow well, with good pizz sustain. They are on the lower - tension side, so they are easy on the left hand. (important for the "3-hour" gig that turns into 4-1/2!) Mine have been on for a year and still sound good. The sound is forward, some call it metallic, but I like it.
    Martinc, how do the 370's compare with 380's?
  7. martinc

martinc Supporting Member

The 370's are the tungsten/steel mix. They have good sustain but for me they were a bit bright. The 380TX are more like the Spirocore Weichs with a little less sustain or ringiness.
    They are reasonably priced, well made and stand up well.
    It might be worth trying a G, D or an A from the 370 TX and 380 TX to see if you like them. Usual thing applies....depends on your bass.
    The 380 TX's sounded pretty good on my Kay but not so good on my King. I have since gone for the guts, or a string that has the "gut-like" sound. None of the Corelli's fall into that category.

Martin Chapman.
  8. kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I have 380 TX on now and I'm quite happy with them. I bought the E-A first to try them out. I then ordered the G-D. Quinn accidentally sent me 370s (a problem that they quickly and courteously fixed) for the G and D so I had a chance to try those. I didn't like them as much as the 380s, the thinness was too unconventional for me. The Corellis are great for arco and more than acceptable for jazz pizz, save for the E which is too thuddy and dark. I think the 380TX with a Weich E would be a good, inexpensive, all-around set of strings -if you don't mind the attendant scratch of the E under the bow. If you don't play arco, I wouldn't bother with the Corellis. Their bow-ability and affordability are their strong points.

If you're getting them for jazz don't make the mistake of getting the 'medium' gauge. The Corelli medium is for acrobatic solo work and they're extremely thin.