Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Corellis v. Superflexibles

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Mike Goodbar, Nov 5, 2003.

1. I'm looking to make the switch from Obligatos to a rope-core string for my 7/8 hybrid. I'm looking to sacrifice a little warmth for a bit more definition, while at the same time keeping a decent arco tone.

Anyone have experience with both of the above-named brands? Recommendations?

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I have tried Superflex, Obligato and Corelli TX 370. Soundwise I prefer superflex over corelli, they are warmer and less metallic. But maybe you won't like them and will put your Ob's back on.

Please report your experience.

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I suggest Kolstein Varicor Excels.

4. SIR LARRY:

Do I detect a note of skepticism?

5. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    mike,

the superflexibles, in my experience, are higher tension and scratchier with the bow than the ob's. a bit thinner diameter, as well. i wasn't terribly impressed.

sean p

6. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I am no string guru, but I've try a fair amount of sets to know. The sound is mainly in your hands, better to practice than spend time and money on yet another set. For me it's a matter of resource allocation, although I recognize that experimenting to understand and improve is part of the human nature.

(and it is nice that you've noticed the correct spelling of my first name ! ;) thx Mike)

7. Are these suitable for jazz? I don't go for the Spiro mwah, but more of a gutty thunk.

8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The Varicors are an excellent hybrid string.
    Good articulation and definition over a warm tone.
    None of the usual jazz string mwah there... :)
    Barrie Kolstein initially designed them as an orchestral string, a replacement for Original Flexocors, but he constantly worked on them and made improvements over the years.