Corellis v. Superflexibles

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Mike Goodbar, Nov 5, 2003.

1. I'm looking to make the switch from Obligatos to a rope-core string for my 7/8 hybrid. I'm looking to sacrifice a little warmth for a bit more definition, while at the same time keeping a decent arco tone.

Anyone have experience with both of the above-named brands? Recommendations?

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I have tried Superflex, Obligato and Corelli TX 370. Soundwise I prefer superflex over corelli, they are warmer and less metallic. But maybe you won't like them and will put your Ob's back on.

Please report your experience.

3. I suggest Kolstein Varicor Excels.

4. SIR LARRY:

Do I detect a note of skepticism?

5. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    mike,

the superflexibles, in my experience, are higher tension and scratchier with the bow than the ob's. a bit thinner diameter, as well. i wasn't terribly impressed.

sean p

6. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I am no string guru, but I've try a fair amount of sets to know. The sound is mainly in your hands, better to practice than spend time and money on yet another set. For me it's a matter of resource allocation, although I recognize that experimenting to understand and improve is part of the human nature.

(and it is nice that you've noticed the correct spelling of my first name ! ;) thx Mike)

7. Are these suitable for jazz? I don't go for the Spiro mwah, but more of a gutty thunk.

8. The Varicors are an excellent hybrid string.
    Good articulation and definition over a warm tone.
    None of the usual jazz string mwah there... :)
    Barrie Kolstein initially designed them as an orchestral string, a replacement for Original Flexocors, but he constantly worked on them and made improvements over the years.