Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Corellis

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Buddy Lee, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    Has anyone tried Corelli 390TX (nickel wound, solo tuning) pitched down to orchestra tuning?
    Opinions?

(btw: not interested in bowing :) )

2. No, I haven't tried that. But experimenting with different varieties of Corellis myself, I wonder what gave you the idea to tune the 390s down. I think to use solo strings in orchestra pitch is a reasonable idea with Spirocores, which have especially high tension. But this is not the case with the Corellis. In addition, to me the main advantage of the Corellis is their hybrid characteristics (arco and pizz). As you are not interested in bowing -- what then is your reason to use Corellis instead of special pizz strings?

In any case -- try to contact Bernard Maillot at SsavarezBC@aol.com. When I asked a question about the Corelli strings, it took a while, but then I got a detailed answer. They even offered me a set of free strings for evaluation.

Stefan

3. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    Ever heard of Rockabilly SLAP technique? From what I've read, the Corellis have the tone I'm looking for, but are very thin (what can be really deadly for slap playing).
    So I got the idea of tuning down the 390 TX to orchestra to compensate the Corelli's thinness.

And now...

I finally tried the 390 TX pitched down to orchestra tuning.

I LOVE 'EM!

The low tension makes them so f*cking easy to slap! Even though they are really THIN, especially the D and G. But due to the low tension it doesn't feel any kind of "sharp" to me (note: I'm really used to slap steel - without using tape). My former G (unknown brand) was a lot thicker but felt much "sharper".
    The playability is just great!

These strings (tuned to orchestra) have exactly the tone I've been looking for.
    Nice clickity-click steel slap sound. Bass tone quite bright (I really disliked the dark and dead sound of Jargar Dolce). Nice sustain, nice definiton!
    If I had to compare it, I'd say that the tone's somehow similar (SOMEHOW SIMILAR, I said!) to Ray Campi's on "Real Good Itch" sung by Mac Curtis. (If my bass wasn't a chinese cheapo, maybe it would be even more similar... :) )

LOVE 'EM, LOVE 'EM, LOVE 'EM! (Even though they are FRENCH *yikes* ;) )

note: all above is just my opinion.

BLB

4. lin fung

lin fung Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2002
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I just started using corelli 370 forte (orchestral) strings. I noticed that 370s are also available in an extra forte solo version. How would these strings compare?

I like the feel of really soft strings (what some would call floppy). On my EUB they both play better and resonate much more freely (to compensate for the less resonant top of an EUB vs. an acoustic), creating a resonance more like an acoustic bass.

Would the EXTRA FORTEness of the solo strings make them thicker than the FORTE orchestrals? The same? Thinner?

Basically I'm looking for loose strings, but ones that aren't so thin that they have no balls to the tone.

5. lin fung

lin fung Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2002
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Are extra forte 370s and extra forte solos (360) the same gauge/thickness?

6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Solo strings are made to sound one whole step higher than orchestra tuning, so they're lower tension than their orchestra pitch counterpart.
    Hence, the 370TX solo is lower tension than the 370TX orchestra.
    Now, are they thinner? I don't know.
    Sometimes the manufacturer will use different kinds of metal to make its string so the gauge will remain the same.
    (ex: the thin gauge Flexocor G is the exact same gauge as the solo-tuning, but not the same tension)

7. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I know the guys in the Berlin Phil used to use solo strings tuned down to orchestral pitch. They don't do it anymore...if that says anything...

8. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    Just wanted to let you know that I recently swapped those Corellis for Rotosound RS4000 nylon strings.
    I really like the Corellis' tone, but after a 4 hour gig of slap playin' I noticed that those thin strings aren't suitable for slapping at all (there was barely any skin left on my fingers).

9. How did those RS 4000's work out for you?