1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Corn Tortillas are cheaper: why?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mambo4, Nov 2, 2010.

1. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Flour tortillas are like 10 for 2 dollars
    Corn tortillas you get a stack of 50

any idea why?

2. I suspect it's tied to the fact(I think)that they are healthier, hence less popular. Perhaps easier/cheaper to make, though...

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Probably because corn is one of the most heavily subsidized crops in America? Just a shot in the dark.

I like those soft corn tortillas. Cut em up into triangles and immersion fry them for basically homemade tortilla chips. And you can cook them in peanut oil rather than nasty fatty old palm oil.

4. All of the above + less processing?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Four corn tortillas are about the size of one flour tortilla.

-Mike

6. wheat is more expensive than corn.

7. ding ding ding! we have a winner!

so corn tortillas are cheaper because you pay for them with your tax dollars.:meh:

8. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I should mention that the vast majority of corn produced in America is grown for industrial and agricultural purposes and not fit for human consumption, but I can only assume that the corn grown for food processing can be lumped into the same subsidies as the corn grown for plastic.

9. Probably. Corn tortillas annoy me because they require more heating up than do the wheat ones, and rip if you look at them funny. But nothing compares to 3 mini-burritos made of spicy stewed pork, home-made refried beans, avocado chunks and zesty cheddar rolled into hot, fresh corn tortillas.

10. Cuz you're in Seattle, DoH!

but Flour is a bit more expensive here too

11. quite a delicious +1

12. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Do they have high fructose corn syrup in them?

13. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    surely

14. tk421

tk421

Mar 3, 2010
    middletown, oh
    they should have 2 ingredients: masa (milled corn flour) and water.
    anything else is extra.

15. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota

I was going to consult my Rachael Ray 30 minute meals cookbook this weekend to see whats for dinner....but looks like I found it right here on TB!!:hyper: Can you post your spicy stewed pork recipie please?

16. Cut some pork roast into 1-inch pieces, or whatever size you fancy, and put it in a crock pot with some vinegar, and your favorite green tomatillo salsa (must be spicy), and some Tobasco sauce to taste. Cook for about a day or so. Failing a crock pot, just use a regular pot and stew for about 6 hours, or until it starts to fall apart. Really simple, and easily adjustable.

17. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Botanist comes crashing into the room

Corn is cheaper to grow, sells for less, and cheaper to process. That being said, it's less nutritionally sound than flour or wheat tortillas partially because corn is genetically modified very heavily, much more so than wheat, so you're getting a cost cut because of that.

Jumps on motorcycle and rides away

18. Thank you. :D

19. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Cornspiracy

20. This cooking method also works well for cubed beef or my favorite boneless skinless chicken breast. That's how i make filling for chicken enchiladas adding some chopped garlic, onion and carrot.