1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cornell Williams on Treme

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RickC, May 17, 2011.

1. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Anyone else been watching the new season of Treme on HBO? One of the happy results for me has been discovering the uber-funky Mr Williams. He's been on the last several episodes, as part of Antoine Batiste's Apostles of Soul band; even been getting some speaking parts. Man, he gets the stankiest sound I've ever heard from a Modulus.

More/better music on the show this season in general

:hyper:

2. mixalot

mixalot

Jun 24, 2007
    New Orleans
    If you like Cornell, you"ll like this.

Check out the "Mo Hipper" from Tribeca here:

JonCleary.com - AUDIO/VIDEO

The opening intro is sweet, especially when the bass comes in.

I work with the drummer (Jeffrey "Jellybean" Alexander) from this band in another called Papa Grows Funk here in New Orleans. It's pretty cool seeing all these cats from around town on TV, especially when I see them in the grocery store and doing normal stuff around town just like everyone else. :bassist:

I especially liked the first episode with John Boutte. He's a great musician and an sweet man as well.

3. RickC

Jun 9, 2005
    Thanks for the link. You play in Papa Grows Funk??? June Yamagishi was in this past week's episode; another killer player I'm just discovering.

/rick

4. mixalot

mixalot

Jun 24, 2007
    New Orleans
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    One of the best shows I've ever seen about the lives of musicians, great TV. Big fan of Papa Grows Funk Too!:cool:

6. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I LOVE Treme! I've turned my g/f onto the show, and my drummer is in the process of getting hooked. And seeing Cornell Williams getting a speaking part in this week's episode was pretty cool.

Personally though, I can't get enough of the live Galactic performances. Stanton Moore is quickly becoming one of my favorite drummers....EVER!

7. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I love this show! Actually, I would love to see a list of what musicians are in each episode so I can go back and re-watch them with that knowledge.

8. RickC

Jun 9, 2005
    That's part of the fun :). Every week I go hunting on the web trying dig up info on the unfamiliar faces from the latest episode. Been getting turned on to a lot of great new (to me) stuff that way.

/rick

9. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Some of the show regulars are musicians who are acting. Others are actors portraying musicians.

In some of this season's episode you can check out some performances from:

-The Subdudes
    -Violinist Lucia Miccarelli (she plays Annie T on the show)
    -Guitarist/pianist/vocalist Michiel Huisman (he plays Sonny on the show)
    -Singer/songwriter Steve Earle (plays a busker named Harley)
    -Galactic with Juvenile & The Dirty Dozen Brass Band
    -Shawn Colvin

10. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    Great show. I love New Orleans and it is a pleasure to see the city and it├Ęs music as a featured character

11. mixalot

mixalot

Jun 24, 2007
    New Orleans
  12. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Treme is a great show. All of those musicians in the club scenes are the real deal. I've been to NOLA twice in the last 5 years and I always have a great time.

13. willyrep

willyrep

Mar 4, 2008
    New Orleans
    I had the pleasure of playing on Treme i think the 2nd episode of the 2nd season ( not sure, I dont have cable). I performed with blues guitarist Mem Shannon. And yall are right-Cornell is the freakin man! Sweetheart of a dude who plays his butt off. He plays with my roommate every Sunday night and everytime i go there I tell him straight up, "Man-i am gonna steal and halfass all your licks!"

14. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    +1,000, on both counts.

15. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Great show! I love how they feature real musicians from NOLA.

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I love this show.
    Don't forget George porter Jr. rocked a few shows.

17. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    John Hiatt, Elvis Costello, Rebirth Brass Band, Dr. John, Ron Carter, Art Neville, George Porter Jr, Allen Toussaint...

an interesting side note, Anthony Bourdain penned season 2's Janette Desautel (chef) story line.