Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Corona

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by jrthebassguy, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Hey mike, I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but do you know how "corona" ended up being the Jackass theme song? I didn't even know it was a minutemen song until a few months ago, and I think its pretty cool that its the theme song to such a popular show.

thanks,
    Jake

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

my friend spike jonez (he did some videos for me) had a part in creating that show and asked me if he could use "corona" for it. I dig spike much and said sure. d. boon's heirs get the royalties.

on bass, watt

3. I guess now since this has been used as a theme for a motion picture, this would make it eligible for an Oscar nomination, right? Wouldn't that be a hoot? It's a great song, and a far sight better than most other movie themes. Even Bob Dylan got an Oscar, didn't he (I know he was nominated at least)? I wonder if we could start some sort of campaign for a nomination?

4. watt

hi,

very kind thoughts from you - thanks.

for d. boon, always!

on bass, watt

5. Unfortunately, as much as I love the Minutemen and as much as I loathe the Jackass series and movie (IMO, the only good thing about it is that theyr'e using "Corona" and turning cats onto the band), "Corona" would be ineligible for a Best Song Oscar because songs in that category have to be written specifically for the films they're in.

6. watt

cj,

d. boon wrote that song in 1983 about a lame boss who wouldn't let him listen to a soul music radio station at work.

on bass, watt

7. Mike,

I thought that was the story behind "This Ain't No Picnic"?!?

CJ

8. watt

cj,

you're right, that is the story behind the song "this ain't no picnic." both "corona" and "I felt like a gringo" were written right after a trip me, d. boon and george took to baja mexico. sorry for the mixup!!

on bass, watt