1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Coronacation Quizzin' Time?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Killing Floor, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Love it, Mmmm, yeah!

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. Do not particularly care for it.

22 vote(s)
    75.9%
  3. Carrots

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Been thinking a lot lately that I sincerely dislike this pandemic.
    Who's with me?

Spidey2112 likes this.
  2. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    I don't mind isolation at all (never have, really), but far too many other aspects of it are quite irritating.

danesdad and Volker Kirstein like this.
  3. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    I too, don't mind the isolation too much. I've always been a sort of solitary individual. However, now I actually notice that it's forced isolation, which isn't quite the same thing. What I find most amazing and puzzling about the pandemic is folks, including good friends, who say phrases like, "I can't wait for things to get back to normal." What we are experiencing now is normal. I've been quoting something from an economic newsletter to which I subscribe

Financial Newsletters, Economic & Investment Analysis - Mauldin Economics

Everybody wants to know when the economy can reopen. In one sense, that’s the wrong question. The economy isn’t “closed.” Many essential businesses are still open. People still buy and sell things. Those sitting at home still engage in economic activity. But it is of a different nature, and the change creates costs.

So what we’re really asking is when the previously normal economy will be back. The answer is “never,” I’m afraid. We will return to something quite different and as yet unknown.

There's a old saying about this, "nostalgia is like a grammar lesson: you find the past perfect and the present tense."

danesdad, pcake, Spidey2112 and 3 others like this.
  4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Fortunately have not lost income or job security. Love working from home. I’m more disciplined in my consumerism. I’m getting way more exercise since I’m not as exhausted. Getting lots of stuff done around the house as well. property has never looked better. Eating healthier, sleeping better. I’m largely an introvert and budding misanthrope so this whole thing suits me fine.

Sucks that others are suffering.

5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    In Austin we had a full lockdown stay-at-home and on paper it seemed like a good idea. But the catch is we closed a month too early so it had no impact on containment, we began to reopen just as cases were emerging.

I also can earn income from home but I am not so naive as to believe it is sustainable if the economy sinks further. Even in a job that can be performed fully remote, you're still connected to the economy and the revenue stream of your employer. In my circle, I know many adults including my wife who believe their newly found remote work is secure, but they don't correlate that their employer justifies their employment based on revenue forecast. I work remotely, have for years. But the clock is ticking.

I am firm in my position, I do not care for the pandemic.

6. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

I work from wherever; all I need is a phone. Other than not being able to go to jam sessions, nothing has changed for me.

I've been self employed since 95, in a very narrow niche. As long as there are private investigators, process servers, bail bondsmen, and collection agencies, I'm in demand. They may put the puzzles together, but they always need help finding pieces.

7. I too love the isolation factor, but hate it when its forced on me. It's an interesting quirk in human nature..some times there are things I don't wanna do..but if you forbid it, I will want to do it. Same goes the other way, drinking was way more fun when I was young and it was illegal being under age, then when I turned of age I found that the excitement factor was far less and it wasn't quite as fun..

8. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Well, lost my job, lost my gigs, haven’t left the house in months. But on the bright side I renovated two bathrooms, the house is getting a new coat of paint and my playing is getting better than it ever was because I’m practicing 3 hours a day.

I suppose we’ll get back to normal at some point but at my age nobody wants to hire you, I’ve got lots of energy and experience but that seems to take a back seat to age, especially when the interviewer is half your age.

still we’re hanging in there hoping for the best but prepared for the worst.

9. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Since this in GIG stories, there's a story of a local band where one member feels at-risk, but the rest of the band won't mask up to help that person stay protected.
    I mean, how does a band bounce back from that?!

One thing the virus has done is split a lot of people apart, even some of my old classmates have come out as non-believers. I saw one of them working at a restaurant & he's pretending to wear a mask. (under chin)

On the bright side, things are starting to normalize around here now.
    Self-Serve at some establishments is back on. I just hope it doesn't prove to be a mistake.

Spidey2112 and Volker Kirstein like this.
  10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

As a follow-up, what do you guys think about a band-member being vocal about his anti-mask attitude to fans? I would think it could lose some fans!
    It will be a requirement to perform in bars here, so they won't really have a choice.

Volker Kirstein likes this.
  11. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    A baseball bat to the knee caps quiets the 'masks are a left wing liberal snowflake plot to make us all athiests' types. Give em two swings if they also think that vaccines are chock full of microchips planted by Bill Gates to make you only buy windows products.

12. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    You're aiming about four feet too low.

Nashrakh and Volker Kirstein like this.
  13. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Don't know about losing fans but if it happened in my band they would be losing a bass player.

Lowbrow and Volker Kirstein like this.
  14. My band has two essential workers and two that are able to work from home. One member that works at home is afraid to get together and the other stay at home worker is afraid but would get together. Both would want us all to wear masks. I am one of the essentials and only wear a mask where mandated. The other essential has played gigs with another band where masks were optional and didn't wear a mask(drummer). I would wear a mask, glove up, and sanitize if it meant we would practice or play a gig. I wouldn't want to harm my band mates or others.

15. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    At first i didn't like it, but then i continued not to like it. Eventually i came around to still not liking it. I'm looking forward to the future when I'll finally keep on not liking it... but it's a long road of not liking it between here and there. Sometimes i think I'll never like it but in those times i try to tell myself "self, you don't like it".

danesdad, pcake, LBS-bass and 2 others like this.
  16. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    Unfortunately, we are still in the very early stages of "the beginning" of the series of events through which we will all, hopefully, live. I heard someone on NPR refer to the pre-plague era as "the before-times." That really struck me: it sounds like something out of a fairytale, but it is the way it is. I'm not sure whether the masks help abate the virus and it seems inflamed opinions exist of each side of the issue. To me, wearing the mask is about showing that I care for those around me, even strangers. It's also vital to wash your masks after each use. I let mine soak in soapy water for at least twenty minutes.

If even a remote chance exists that it may help someone then I'll do it. Let's all remember the best of the before-times and do what we can to make our future better.

Winslow and Volker Kirstein like this.
  17. I'm firmly in this position as well.

Unfortunately, going any farther on how I feel about what is going on would get me in trouble with the admins.

18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    As a species we fear change. It’s going to take a serious kill off of our kind to get enough attention focused to get past this poopie.
    as for liking it? I’m too busy adapting to our current reality to ponder what was or what will be. As a lifelong planner i’m working overtime to adapt to the perpetual seat of your pants, sometimes minute to minute game of changeup i’m finding myself forced to play. I’ve discovered i’m slower to adapt than i was when i was still young enough to know everything, but i’m still able to roll with it so it’s all good.
    as for my personal take on isolation? I’m a professionally diagnosed asocial personality type so there ya go.

danesdad and Volker Kirstein like this.
  19. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    Recently, I felt the urge to write something sort of songish about the whole thing or just a small part of it. Anyway, sung to the chorus portion of John Prine's The Great Compromise:

I used to be just a gen'ral ol' normal
    But the beforetimes just passed like a ghost.
    Now I'm gonna try to be a new-normal guy
    And to be a new-normal the most.​

Feel free to add as the spirit moves you.

20. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I like working from home now that I'm used to it.
    I didn't like losing a drummer I worked with since 1981 - the poor guy spent nearly 5 weeks on a respirator before passing just days after his 65th birthday.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021