1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Coronado project. Need help.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Band Dad, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    I've just received in the mail today a Fender Coronado II body (thanks, BassGreaser). I had a neck from a Coronado (I), and found the body here on TB.
    I can't believe that I'll get around to a restoration, but most of the parts it needs (and it needs everything) shouldn't be hard to find.
    What does have me concerned is the bridge and tailpiece. I'm wondering if the B and TP from another make will fit.
    Pickups are another issue. What would fit the original openings?

The body is sound. The neck has a slight twist to it that I'm hoping may straighten out under tension.

Could this be worth a couple of Darkstars?
    I'm thinking Hipshot Ultralight tuners to help prevent neck-dive.

Anyone out there willing to hazard a guess as to what I'm looking at here in terms of a project?

Attached Files:

2. i cant really contribute much, but thats a pretty sweet looking body. good luck. i look forward to seeing this done.

3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Wow, that's a great find. I haven't seen one in a very long time. In regards to your questions:

From what I recall, the bridge and tailpiece were free floating, the bridge was never fixed to the body. The bridge itself was a funky looking thing as seen in the pic below. Because it was a true floating bridge, it made intonation a snap, and de-intonation from playing even snappier. ( :D ) Although the pic does not show a pickguard, the Coronado bass I played and set up years ago had a cream pickguard shaped similar to a Les Paul's. I thought it was weird on a bass, but it looked cool.

I don't know where you'd find a replacement, but I'd say that its likely you could have someone make them up for you from scratch, or if you're into metal working, you could have at them yourself as well. I did see a Coronado once that had a modified Rickenbacker bridge and tailpiece and it seemed to work just fine - so that might be an option if you get stuck.

Also, google will prove me right or wrong, but if I recall correctly, the Coronados were supplied with deArmond pickups, similar to those used on the Guild Starfire which of course Fred based the Darkstars on - so in my estimation, yes, this would be a perfect project to retrofit some darkstars onto. If you're not into darkstars, you could measure the current holes, match their dimensions to the dozens of pickups available out there, have a couple of pickup mounting rings made to match and go for it.

Insofar as the wiring goes, it should have had a simple three way switch to select the pickups, and individual tone and volume pots for each pickup.

Good luck, what a great find!

2moqoua.

4. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    Your pic shows what I found and wondered about: the wide footprint of the bridge. Finding a suitable replacement has me worried.

I've seen the original pups and saw that they were very shallow, not even going into the body (or not much). Darkstars have quite a bit of depth apparently, not a problem on a hollow-body, but I would hope not to have to route or drill.

Interestingly, this body is a three-color sunburst with the red almost completely faded away. You can see where the red was protected by the neck pickuo, and where the knobs left "shadows" of red. The back retains the original look.

Any others out there with suggestions for replacement bridge, tailpiece, and pickups?