Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

correct bridge for a 1966 p bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by andysvec, Sep 7, 2004.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    Does anyone know if the 1966 precisions had the threaded rod saddles or the smooth saddles on their bridge?

2. My '65 has threaded saddles, but this is the time a lot of changes were made. I think the change came around '68-69. This is about when the string ferrules, tuners and finish changed, it would make sense it was in this time frame.

3. andysvec

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    Yeah, these years are confusing around then. My 66 has the oval tuners, which I thought only 66 had, but I saw something on the fender forums saying some 68s had the oval tuners too (?)
    My 66 p bass came to me with a badass bridge on it, and I had it changed to an old fender one when I had some other things fixed, but it's the smooth saddles. Now I'm wondering if it the original bridge had threaded saddles? Just trying to make it as authentic as possible.

Another question, does your 65 have a rosewood board? If so, how do you care for it?

4. A great source of info would be The Fender Bass:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...e_ampage/103-0610188-4636656?v=glance&s=books

I'm pretty sure the paddle tuners went from 66-69. I'll try to remember to check the book when I get home.

I'm happy to have a really nice chunk of Brazillian Rosewood on my bass! :smug: As far as caring for it, a little lemon oil or fretboard conditioner about once a year or so, unless you live in a really dry climate.

Are your paddle tuners reverse winding? I think the stock ones on mine were, but tuner fell apart and I replaced them, and I (for some reason) no longer have the originals. I also replaced the bridge with a Badass because one of the height adjustment screws came out of the saddle- I found it, but I didn't want to have to worry about losing it again.

Angela has vintage style repro bridges available-
    http://www.angela.com/catalog/guitar-parts/bass.html

5. andysvec

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    They have a lot of nice basses there!

Yeah, good idea though, I'll drop him a line and see if it has threaded saddles, looks like it but can't really tell from that pic.

6. andysvec

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I got an email back from Dave's guitar shop. Said the 66 jazz there has threaded saddles, so that answers my question as I would assume since my 66 pbass has the oval tuners that it would have originally had threaded saddles also. Time to place an order with Angela.
    Thanks for the tip!