Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Correct cab connection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nottswarwick, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Hello all

Probably a really basic question, but here goes...

what is the best way to connnect 2 cabs to a head? - my head is Hartke 3500 - it has 2 outputs, both for an 8ohm cab. So this is the obvious way to do it - one cab driven from each output. But I have also heard that you can daisy chain the cabs from one output - ie out of head into onecab, out of that cab and into the other - is it OK to do this??

Cheers

Chris

2. In your particular case either way would do the same thing. There is no difference.

If your amp was stereo (2 channel power) there would be a difference.

3. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    wat exactly is that difference?
    just wondering cos i'm worried about our PA system - we have the two FOH speakers powered by a poweramp giving 2x600w@4ohms - the speakers are 4ohms by the way - but then our soundman (not really experienced) daisy chains a monitor (for the drummer) off one of the FOH speakers...it doesn't seem like a good thing to be doing, especially cos the monitor wedge is rated only at like 300w or something...

4. Electrically there is no difference between [amp to cab to cab], and [amp to cab, amp to cab]. However, from the reliability point of view, for [amp to cab to cab] when your amp or cab socket starts to wear, you could lose the signal to the first cab, so it would not be there to pass on to the second cab.

If you have two sockets on the amp, it is more reliable to go [amp to cab, amp to cab]