1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Correct changes to Everything happens to me?

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by jjqq123, Jun 30, 2020 at 6:59 AM.

1. jjqq123

jjqq123

Aug 16, 2017
    Hey guys, i´ve been learning this tune and Ireal and real books state as follows:

Bb-7 Eb7 | C-7 Bº7| Bb-7 Eb7|C-7b5 F7|

But sometimes I hear the follow:

Bb-7 Eb7 |C-7 F-7|D-7b5 G7|C-7b5 F7|

And if I play the second version over the first one it doesn´t sound right.

My questions are regarding the VI-7 instead of the bIIIº (I understand that both are leading to II but they don´t share same notes) and the #IV-7b5 V7/III instead of II V, which doesn´t sound right imo if exchanged.

Thanks, kind regards.

2. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    If you'll forgive what may be an overly simple response, some of the chords you've listed have some of the same notes in them but others are different - makes sense that the two together might not sound good. There are likely ways to voice them that would allow all those notes to be sounded together, but you'd have to take care in how you did that to make it work.

-S-

jjqq123 likes this.
  3. jjqq123

jjqq123

Aug 16, 2017
    Thanks, the awful sounding chord I was refering to: if I play a D and the recording plays Bb-7.

Steve Freides likes this.
  4. Perhaps check Frank Sinatra W Tommy Dorsey.
    I think that’s the original.

jjqq123 likes this.
  5. jjqq123

jjqq123

Aug 16, 2017
    Yeah, Ireal is right as allways. What a pity, I liked the other version better!

"I make a chart for chords, and you can bet your life it´s wrong"

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 11:01 AM
  6. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    Check out Richard Davis playing this with Elvin Jones and Charlie Mariano, on 'Dear John C'. One of the greatest bass recordings ever for me, he's so loose and so deeply swinging at the same time and with an unbelievably great sound....

While its definitely valuable to check out the original intention of the composition, one of the things this recording beautifully illustrates is that on a tune like EHtM, which is basically a series of simple 2 5s, there isn't really such thing as 'correct', more several possibilities for getting between some predetermined landing points

lurk and jjqq123 like this.
  7. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I would contend that the "correct changes" are the changes being "suggested" (!) by the pianist. The bassist here is supporting those changes, beautifully, IMFO. I would not try to "ballpark" these changes, esp. on a ballad.
    Here is a beautiful arrangement of EHTM. Note the Tritone sub reharmonization and descending root movement on the last A section.
    IMFO, of course.

jjqq123 likes this.
  8. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Was I not reading between the lines correctly, and was the question, "what are the right changes?" Just asking because sometimes my grasp of the obvious is less than stellar.

-S-

9. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Isn't it "obvious"? The "right changes" are whatever is occurring in real time - usually by the pianist/guitarist/arranger.
    There could be a variety of "...changes" being played, even chorus by chorus, measure by measure. IMFO, of course.
    I was not responding directly to anything you had posted, FYI. (That means "For Your Information" !)
    Thanks.

mtto and Ed Fuqua like this.
  10. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    I thought it was always about me.

-S-

Keyser Soze and Don Kasper like this.