correct finger usage

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by d_squad54, Jan 9, 2006.

1. d_squad54

Dec 2, 2005
    Could anyone direct me to recourse (website preferably) that will help my learning process of using the correct fingers when playing. I have a pretty good idea but sometimes I question my self if I am using the correct fingers that will supply the quickest/easiest move. I have figured most out on my own but still unsure on a few. A site with just a bunch of riffs to practice that supply the correct fingers for each note would be probably the best way for me to learn if anyone knows of any. Thanks, peace.
  2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    It's a combination of practice and using all four fingers in a given spot. I assume you are talking about the left/fretting hand.

1)The four finger per fret rule is very key. All four of your fingers should be ready to fret a note. If a bassline is around the same area than this method works great. (ie some classical, jazz melodies)

2) The thumbshift method is important. Your thumb should be able to make long shifts without loosing balance. This is good for using just one finger (doesn't matter which one) or to get to the higher notes quickly.
    (ie the Killers "Mr. Brightside")

3) The upright approach is great for me. This is more of a 3 finger per fret rule in which a root 5th and octave are played with the index, middle, and pinky are only used. This is great for funk, sliding high notes, or fast rakes. Root,5ths, and octaves are in almost every bassline. (Kem "Inside", Motown, Led Zeppelin, Walking bass, anything with a lot of Roots 5ths octaves)

All of the methods above aren't rules. They are just good for certain situations. It's up to you in a given song to decide which is best.

This website helped me out a couple of years ago.
  3. d_squad54

Dec 2, 2005
    I will check em out, thanks alot.