Correct me if I'm wrong about 4x10 cabs..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmusic808, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Hello. I've noticed that most bassists have huge stacks when playing with a full band (guitar, drums, etc.). Like 8x10's, or a 4x10 with 1x15... I've heard that to get more volume, you need to move more air.. which is why I imagine bassists have stacks like this to compete for volume.

So, is it safe to say that the majority of 4x10 cabs, regardless of the amount of watts it can push, if used alone will always be competing to be heard against a full band?? I mean.. I'm sure that the size of the band and venue also play a factor.. but.. are 4x10's more so used as backline cabs??

2. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ive used one 4x10 for 3 years and its been plenty loud. and i fight two guitar playes and drummer. ive played outside, bars, theatres...etc... and liek i said...plenty loud.
  3. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    It all depends on the efficiency and power handling, assuming you're going to give the cab all that it can take. On the one hand, you have cabs like the Acme Low B-4... it's going to take a lot of wattage and at least 2 of them to be extremely loud. On the other hand, you could accomplish the same thing with a very efficient 2x10 or 4x10 ( Eden, Accugroove, etc. ). It all depends on your volume needs. Virtually any 4x10 is going to be able to do the job if you give it enough wattage, but if you're playing big gigs without PA support for bass and you have to compete with crazy marshall stacks... you probably would need a very loud 8x10. Also keep in mind that most of the very loud cabs aren't going to be very deep. Most of your actual cut comes from the mids.
  4. In my opinion, a 4x10 cabinet is plenty large, and sometimes more than you need. It is one of the most versatile cabinets, having the ability to play at high volumes, yet be small enough to take into a smaller gig. I have used my 4x10 cabinet at 1200-seat theaters, large outdoor festivals and small rooms alike and have had more than enough volume to hear myself. In the larger situations, the cabinet is only for me and not meant for the whole band to hear--they can get the bass from the monitors or side-fills. In general I place the cabinet on top of my rack so it is more at ear level. I never have to push the cabinet very hard at all. Usually in the larger rooms I use lower volumes because there is enough bass in the mains and monitors. The only situations where I have wanted another cabinet is 1) rooms where there is an inadequate PA system and only vocals are in the PA, 2) with obnoxiously loud rock bands on big roomy stages, and 3) large open outdoor stages where I play most of the time 20 feet or more from my rig.

I honestly believe that most players with a giant bass rig used in a club setting or smaller are just stroking their own egos
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I can respect that opinion... but I'll throw in mine, too. When I started playing with a band that wasn't as all-out loud as my previous one, I thought I'd be able to just haul one 410 cab to gigs, rather than two. Volume wise, that would have been just fine. I quickly found that there's a *qualitative*, not just *quantitative* difference in sound I get by using two 410 cabs. YMMV :)

To address the original question - I think a single 410 cab is _adequate_ for most any situation. Will it sound as punchy and full as 8x10s, even at moderate volume? No.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH

When I first joined the band I'm in now about two years ago, I brought only ONE 4x10 to the gig, since we have full PA support. Large stage, end result was that I blew three of the four tens in my cab trying to keep up for stage volume on the large stage. Pushing it too hard to handle my octaver at those levels. Now, I always bring a second 4x10 for large stages, so I don't have to drive either cab as hard. Has nothing to do with ego, but everything to do with saving money not having to replace or recone speakers . . .
  7. Eric and Donkey,
    There's no question about it--when you need the speakers, you need the speakers. I'm talking mostly about the guys who show up to a stage in the corner of a restaurant that is barely large enough to hold the band and everybody is two feet from their amp. The guitarist is playing with a small combo amp and the bass player shows up with an 8x10 cabinet and the same boomy high volume smiley-face EQ sound that he uses in the rehearsal shed (while wanking away without any regard to dynamics or knowing if the part fits the song or not).

I agree with the fact that you get a fuller sound at the same volume with two 4x10 cabs, but some of these cats don't know when to use their power and when not to. I have had my best experiences on stage when the PA does most of the work and I can adjust my volume to hear myself AND the rest of the band. When the rest of the band starts hollering at me to turn up so they can hear me better it often ends up in a situation where all I can hear is myself. I like a lot of bass, but I have to be able to hear the rest of the players. Typically a lot of low end on stage makes the overall stage volume very high and muddy.
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I agree with you that using an 8x10 in a small cafe is overkill, but several people on this forum have stated that the ONLY cab they have is an 8x10. Poor planning on their part, and I make it a point to mention this fact everytime some kid posts a "should I get this 8x10" thread. Two 4x10's are the same as an 8x10, and much more versatile, for sure.

Nothing worse than scaring the beejezus out of a cafe owner when you roll in an 8x10. You might keep the sound low, be he won't care, you're already toast . . .
  9. Eric,
    Great point--versatility is the key here. I feel sorry for the poor fool who gets called to back up a singer/songwriter in an intimate setting and only has the 8x10. I feel even more sorry for him when he agrees to do the gig, but forgot his van broke down and he must try to get that 8x10 into the back seat of a car.

To satisfy the requirements of all of the different gigs I do, I own two 4x10 cabs and a 2x10 cab. The 2x10 by itself gets most of the work.