Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it REALLY important to arrive at a gig together

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by redwingxix, May 8, 2019.

1. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    So we have a festival gig coming up in a few weeks. All our shows have been bars/ private parties so this is a first for us. It's at Hart Plaza downtown Detroit right on the river so it's a little bigger deal and I'm pretty excited about it. It is supposed to be backlined so the only things we need to bring are our instruments and minimal drum parts. No amps, pa, big drum shells. We have not yet gotten the contract yet so it's not certain but that's what we were told.

Got a group text from our singer saying that we should probably rent a uhaul and plan to meet at his house and go down there together. I live about ten minutes from Hart Plaza on edge of Detroit and he lives in the suburbs about half an hour away from me and also about half an hour from the event.

My initial reply was "a uhaul? what?" I then stated that I have no desire to sit in a car for an extra two hours for twenty minutes of travel.

All I'm bringing is one gig bag with my bass, cables, DI and other essentials and was just planning on taking a Lyft, which would cost me as much as parking if I couldn't find a space on the street.

Three of the other four guys seemed pretty offended by my position so I suggested we meet at my house and then go to the gig, but that was seen as unreasonable.

Is there something I'm missing here?

2. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    and obviously I would be there for load in and set up, sound check, etc.

3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    That is silly. There is no need to arrive together. It isn't like you are going to walk a red carpet together.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Your band is nervous. You got a gig at a festival and they are freaking out inside.

Renting a Uhaul for a provided-backline gig is nothing short of stupid.

Send the production company a stage plot. Show up a half-hour before soundcheck and ENJOY the relatively-simple gig.

Many in the bar band business think they have to do "more" for "bigger" gigs. That's just silly.

Do what you always do. Show up. Play good music. Put on a show. Go to the house having been paid.

5. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    That was my plan exactly. Thanks for the input, gents.

Mr_Moo, marcwhy, sludgetail and 12 others like this.
  6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    You can excuse singer-dude for being excited about his first festival gig.
    The rest is, as previously mentioned, just silly.
    They can rent a UHaul but they'll be parking it at your place because it's probably the closest parking you're going to get. Unless you're getting "VIP Artist Parking" passes.
    Since the discussion wasn't about where to park your tour bus, I'm guessing 'No.'
    Singer can put an SM58 in his pocket.
    Keys might have an issue if you have them, because they're rarely backlined.
    Drummer should bring snare & cymbals and plan to leave them in his trunk until you hear otherwise.
    There's nothing to load in or set up. You'll probably get 5 minutes to plug in and line check.
    You've made reasonable travel plans. If they want something else, they need to take on that responsibility and the consequences, because it sounds like all the makings of a cluster-pluck.

Mr_Moo, Rabidhamster, Sixgunn and 4 others like this.
  7. It's not necessary. I'm in a 4 piece cover band and we all drive separate to all gigs. Ranging from small 250 person bars to 5,000 person festivals. I don't see the need to ride together. Occasionally, my singer and I will ride together for long trips because we live across the highway from one another.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  8. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    Right. That's the norm for us, even for shows that are an hour or more away.

Pilgrim likes this.
  9. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    That's seems unreasonable. If you are there in time to be set up before the sound check, that's really all you need. A couple guys in my band are pretty uptight about arrival times. i've started coming last because I know how long it realistically takes to set my stuff up, and I don't want a bunch of standing around time

10. getbent

getbent

Aug 20, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    The key question to ask here is what's the parking situation? Is the festival providing parking? If so, how many spots, and is it next to your stage or somewhere off-site?

I played quite a few festivals where there were 1-2 spots reserved for the band next to/behind the stage, you pull up, you unload, and after you play, you pack up and leave, so there's parking spots for the bands playing after you. People with bigger stuff would drive and get the parking spots, singers and horn players would take public transit and meet us there.

Renting a vehicle to arrive together is completely unnecessary, and whomever has the most gear to unload gets dibs on whatever parking is provided.

Mr_Moo, CB3UK, davidprice and 6 others like this.
  11. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    If you can't walk in to a backlined festival gig with all your stuff on you, you're bringing too much. Whats the rationale renting the uhaul?

Also, very unreasonable to insist on you joining them prior to heading to the show. Anybody with an ounce of common sense can see that.

It's probably just nervousness and excitement. Ask what time they want you to meet them there, and make sure you get there before they do. :)

12. sean_on_bass

sean_on_bass

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    For local gigs i tend to like the "every man for himself" approach. You get yourself and your gear to the gig on time. For long drives over a couple hours i can see carpooling to save on the gas money.

FRoss6788, Mr_Moo, davidprice and 3 others like this.
  13. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    The event promoter / manager will tell you where to be and when to be there.
    If you show up too far in advance of your designated time, you'll probably be in someone's way.

14. bherman

bherman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Just agree on a fixed time to be there. If one or more members want to carpool, so be it.

Mr_Moo, teh-slb, Pilgrim and 2 others like this.
  15. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Yeah this too. But it is a festival... hopefully there's somewhere to stash your gear so you can go out and enjoy it a little bit, too.

16. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    That is...unrealistic. I usually show up before anyone else, because I'm totally neurotic about being on time, but just because I have issues doesn't mean everyone else needs to have my BS inflicted on them.

And even I, OCD Early Arrival Man, would show up to something like this 10 minutes before soundcheck with just a bass, clip tuner, and a spare cable. Backline is backline. You show up, plug in, tweak master volume and play. If that takes more than two minutes you're doing it wrong.

17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Mick and Keith lived in the same house when they began.
    The Deep Purple guys would rent a chateau and all live there to write and record.

Now-a-days, it's not all that uncommon for band members to even be coming in from different countries.

Mr_Moo and sludgetail like this.
  18. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    This is all that should be expected of you considering there's a back-line. It would be silly to drive farther away to load a U-haul.

Mr_Moo and redwingxix like this.
  19. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    You are right and your band is wrong. But give them a graceful way to change their minds without losing face or they may not change their minds.

Mr_Moo, CB3UK, Rabidhamster and 3 others like this.
  20. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Maybe the u-haul is for putting on make-up and picking out all the brown m&ms.:woot:

Mr_Moo, sludgetail, Ekulati and 8 others like this.