Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Correct Pot Value fo my bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flexo, Jul 28, 2005.

1. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Hey,

I have an OLP MM2 passive stingray copy and i opened it up the electronics plate the other day to have a look at the electronics. I've realised that it has mini 500k pots and i'm considering swapping them out for full-size pots. Before i do it though, are these the "correct" value pots for my bass?

I know swapping out the pots for full size ones won't make a big difference but i'd like to do it for the experience as much as anything else.

2. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    From what I understand, the mini pots and full sized pots wouldn't make a difference if rated the same.

500k should do you well.. I had original mini 250k pots in my passive, but with Dimarzio pickups my bass tech recommended 500k (mini) and installed them.. seems like it opens up the character of my bass a bit more.. i didn't realize until the switch, but it almost seemed that the 250k choked my tone just a hair. I could just be stupid though.

3. no...you're not stupid...when talking passive electronics, every pot that you have in your bass is a path to drain some of your signal...therefore, if you use 500k pots, you'll get more signal from your bass to your amplifier. Of course, I've put this completely in layman's terms, but that's pretty much it.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

a "full size" pot of the same resistance will do no more than take up more space in the control bay. Often they have different size shaft diameters and lengths which means you may have to drill the current holes out or the shafts may not be long enough to get a nut on. Also if you have any pots that are close the bay wall you may find that a full size pot won't even fit in the hole if drilled to the correct diameter because there's not enough space between the bay wall and the center of the pot. Also there may be a problem with getting your existing knobs to fit the pot shaft. There's probably other things that haven't even crossed my mind that may pose a problem as well. Unless it's specifically design for it, there are few if any drop-in alterations in the bass world.

In short, there is no upside to the proposition I can see.

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Luknfur surely has more experience with this than I do. This was my experience. Replacing the 250k mini pots in my SX with CTS was a big improvement. Warmer, less nasal and more bottom. Maybe the mini's in the SX were just bad pots. When I switched from the stock single coils to Bart humbuckers, I went to 500K. The Bart 9CBJD's are some very sweet pups BTW.

6. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    The SX pots are just cheap pots. I replaced mine with no-name japanese pots and it made a world of difference.

7. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Hey clink, where'd you buy the CTS pots?

8. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Allparts.com
    I used CGE for the 500K's. My local retailer carries them from WD music products. I think the CGE pots may be a bit better, but they're both good.