Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Correct pull offs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by burntgorilla, Jul 29, 2005.

1. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    I know there's a thread about this a bit below, but I'm being a bit more specific here.

I quite like doing fast, four finger hammer ons, ie. picking, say the 9th, and hammering on the 10th, 11th, and 12th. I find it very hard to do this with pull offs, though. I think my technique may be at fault. As far as I'm aware, pull offs shouldn't be treated like the opposite of a hammer on, instead you should try and pull the finger downwards, so that it sort of plucks the string as it goes. I find that this is much slower, and gives a note that's too loud in the context. Am I going about it the wrong way, or do I just need practice? I'd like to just be able to pull off like a hammer on, because it's good fun when noodling around, but I want to be sure that I'm doing it right. Even on the desk here, I can drum my fingers on it pretty quickly, but I find individually pulling my fingers off much harder.

2. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    It sounds like your doing it right. Just practice it. although a 4 finger pull is pretty difficult. make sure you give it enough attack (say the oppsite of your example) and hit it hard at the 12 with your pinky on it. Then note by note take your fingers off. That's pretty much how i'd do it, although i don't think i would ever think of doing it in a song.

3. Yeah, I kinda pluck the notes with my fretting fingers when I do hammer-offs. You get used to it, it just takes practice. 4 finger pull-offs, eh? I'll have to try that, sounds challenging.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Correct pull-offs are harder, because the aforementioned plucking motion creates a bit of resistance that isn't there when you hammer on.

You'll gain the necessary strength to do it consistently with practice.