1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

correct size spacers for heel adjust neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DaRK_CaRNiVaL, Apr 15, 2009.

1. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    I am trying to find some spacers for my Fender MIM 50's P neck to get a few extra turns.

I took my nut into a big local hardware store and they didn't have anything that was the right size.. the 3/16" spacers has the right sized hole for my nut but were too wide overall.. I would have bought them but I don't have a grinder to grind them down to size. Does anyone have an idea of what sized spacer to use? That way I can hopefully ring around some joints to find that specific size. This is for the heel adjust neck btw.

2. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Back in the day (when I didn't have a grinder either) I used a mill file to hand-file washers/spacers to the right size for my truss rods. You'll probably break a sweat if you have a lot of material to remove, but it doesn't take an excessively long time. You might even save time by filing a spacer by hand instead of spending the time it may take to go to a lot of different suppliers until you find the right size.

Oh yeah, you'll almost definitely want a little vice to hold the space while you file though...

3. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    that is actually a pretty good idea even though I need to get the tools.. one I will probably take up if nobody knows the magic number :p