Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Correct Slap bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by iwannabeblack, May 27, 2001.

1. Flea ( RHCP

27 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. stu hamm

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. les claypool (PRIMUS)

25 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Marcus Miller

11 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. Vic

22 vote(s)
    20.4%
  6. Alain Caron

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Larry Graham

15 vote(s)
    13.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwannabeblack

iwannabeblack

May 27, 2001
    k, ive been playing bass bout a year but I practice at least 2 hours a day during the school year and 4 hours a day in the summer. oh well here we go

1. Is there a certian finger that goes in on a certian string when you slap. (EX: thumb on E and A, Index finer on d and middle on g.)

2. Why is it harder to pop d that g when going fast

3. Do most VERY good players (victor wooten) pop a.

4. is the playing the only way to get faster. (workouts)

Thanks for the input. I apreciate it.

2. hey why don't you try to come up with a better name, don't think you will get much more than flames with the one you have now

3. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    1. No, you can do and use anything

2. because your movements aren't precise enough yet.
    Tip: When you do a thumb slap, place the popping finger(s) in between the strings with the same movement. So it's already in place for the next movement (which is pulling the hand/finger back for the pop).

3. Vic strives to be able to slap any line he can play fingerstyle. So do Stu, Marcus, Adam Nitti, Oteil and countless others.

4. The way is to practice, get rid of excess movement and loosen up (less force - momentum is the key). You don't need strength for slapping, less 'force' - more speed.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'm with Gruff on this, why don't you try to come up with a username that's not offensive and ignorant.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Besides the lame name...Geddy Lee DOESN'T slap!

7. just a suggestion, besides changing your screen name. TAKE LESSONS if you have time to practice 4 hours a day you should be doing it right. I may get ripped for saying this but I think it's better not to practice at all than practice the wrong way. I say this because my first year i tried to learn on my own using one finger on right hand keeping my freeting fingers together, every bad habbit you can think of i did. IT took me another year just to fix my mistakes once i started taking lessons. so anyway's if you have 4 hours a day take lessons and change your screename

8. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    uh, not to sound like a dick, but i don't really have a problem with his screen name .. so the guy wants a different shade of skin, so what ?
    _anyway_, man, Wooten is probably the most God-like figure in the community of slap, or bass playing in general for that matter - he's about as close to perfect as you'll find.
    it depends what style you prefer - "Oppenheim" style or "Hamm" style; thumb parallel or perpendicular to the strings, respectively. difficulty popping the D-string may be because you're movements aren't accurate and/or economical enough and you're getting tangled up. the only remedy for this is to play SLOW! don't rush anything and try to sound like Flea in a week. practice slow slap grooves over and over, varying them with leading tones and grace notes to stop from falling asleep. speed builds up as your fingers become accustomed to where they're going, man.
    just remember that anything goes.. bass is an artform just like anything else, and there are *no* set rules. take your cues from Laboriel, Hamm, Wooty, Lee, Balzary, Claypool, and Turner.
    you might even get to have a word with the last one mentioned. he lurks around here somewhere :D

9. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Perhaps Iwannabeblack is referring to the Lou Reed song of the same name. I believe it is on Street Hassle.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    How truly sad that Larry Graham doesn't get his props for slap. Truly sad.

And where's Marcus Miller?

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Come on. How can iwannabeblack be offensive? If someone used iwannabeturock, I would take that as a compliment.

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Can I request that you add...

Marcus Miller

Alain Caron

Larry Graham

Stanley Clarke

Louis Johnson

Then watch that poll take off!!!

13. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    ask and Ye shall recieve

14. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Alain Caron ... haven't heard that name before. someone clarify ??

15. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I think you've missed another great exponent of slap, what about Mark King?

When I first started out he was the only bass player I knew by name. Put my vote down for Mark King.

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Thank you BLINKY, now I can properly vote. Although he may not be technically the best ever, (although he's pretty dern close), without Larry Graham there would be no Les, Flea, or Vic. My vote goes to Larry. In fact, I think I'll go listen to "The Jam" right now, just cuz I'm funky like that. :)

17. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Sorry, guys, I could only add two names.

My vote goes to Miller, cuz he's the baddest cat.

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You can add another two each time you edit it. :)

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :eek:

wow, some impressive company you got me there with, *ToNeS*. thanks :D

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Had to put a vote in for Mr.Miller, as I am listening to his CD right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.