correct slap style?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by awesome, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Parallel to strings

20 vote(s)
  2. Perpendicular to strings

8 vote(s)
  3. They're 2 different techniques, you should learn both

11 vote(s)
  4. Other

6 vote(s)
  1. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    It seems to me there are 2 ways to slap, so I decided to start a poll to see which one's favored.
    Some say thumb parallel to the strings, other say perpendicular to the strings (mark king-style).

EDIT: Please specify when voting "Other"
  2. I alter between parallel and 45 degrees depending on where I'm slapping or what I'm doing with the rest of the hand.
  3. theres really no such thing as the " correct" slap style. Just learn what is most comfortable to you because that's how you will play best.

p.s. i slap parallel to the strings
  4. I slap perpendicular (about 45 degrees) to the strings. That's where I'm comfortable.
  5. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    i dont slap parralel i slap like my thumb is facing the strings like
    ( )
    \ \
    \ \
    \ \
    thumb> (
  6. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    ahh damnit it didnt work...

like \\ thats my thumb
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Do what ever is most comfortable to you.. I started off with my thumb pointing down.. but I couldn't move it as fast or as cleany as I wanted.. I then realized that by playing with a more parallel approach, I could play much easier.. It also makes Double slapping easier IMO
  8. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    for the most part, a 30-45 degree angle comes natural, and is comfortable.

I find this leads to residue vibrations on other strings. I also think that popping (ie the placement of your popping fingers) are affected by your palm position as well. Besides the residue noise, I do think the strict parrallel yields an easier time double popping the same string, and a slight angle makes popping 2 consecutive strings easier.

Let me just say, this is all stuff I have found for myself, but I don't think is a book answer or anything. I would like to hear pros and cons all the same.
  9. when relooking over my slap style i noticed i don't slap exactly parallel. i kinda go at a 45 degree angle towards the headstock on the e string more parallel on a and d and almost 45 towards the floor on g. weird huh?
  10. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    wow, does anyone slap perpendicular(thumb to string)?
  11. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    The technique I'm most comfortable with is the one I practise the most on.
    I was wondering what was possible with one technique, that you couldn't do with the other. I once read you can't do double thumping (slapping?) when playing parallel (while you are saying you who do I have to believe?).

Just wonderd about the pros and cons of each technique, and which technique was favored...that's all.
    Think I will keep using both.
  12. bassworks

Apr 18, 2002
    There's a great new book to work on your slap technique.
    It has 2 full cd's of playalong.
    It's called the Slap bass workout by Jim stinnett.
    or Jamey aebersold has it too I think.
    Hope this helps !
  13. lostatrout

lostatrout Guest

Nov 20, 2002
    Bethel, Vermont
    I also slap mostly with a 45° angle but for certain patterns such as patterns with hammer on's, I can get a little more speed when slapping perpendicular to the strings. Maybe not exactly perpendicular but more like 75° - 80°.
  14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    well, i believe the 'classic' style is with the thumb pointing upwards about 45 degrees? - like Mark King.

personally, i slap with my thumb pretty much horizontal, so i hit the string with the fleshy part of the thumb at the joint. it works so it stays.

with thumb opinting downwards is most definitley the wrong way to slap - you dont get half as fatter sound as with the other two styles - which is as good a reason as any not to use it :)
  15. Flea slaps with his thumb pointing down.
    wearing the bass low as he does makes this way feasible/preferable, also it enables the pinky to be used for triplet slap.