Correct way on playing your bass.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Charlie 22, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Charlie 22

Charlie 22

Jan 9, 2006
    Hey people, well anyways Im 16 and Im a newbie to the Bass. I must say it's awesome and I love it!

Well anyways here's my question, and Im sorry if it's been asked before. What is the correct way on playing the bass, or is there a correct way?

It's so easy for me when I play with just my thumb, but I hear it's not right that way. I can play by plucking with my fingers but it's more difficult, does it get better in the long run? Or can you play either way of any way you want to? I would like to play any way, it doesnt matter how hard it takes to learn just let it sound the best lol.

2. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Play it, to however it feels most comfortable.

But, the correct way to play bass... is often.
  3. 4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    +1 on play often.

Try and focus on relaxing.
    Don't "squeeze" the neck / frets.
    You have plenty of fingers, learn to use them. (edit - including using your thumbs)
    Pick a bass that feels good and sounds good to YOU.
    Read, read, read about the bass.
    Listen, listen listen for the bass in all kinds of music.
    Play with other musicians when possible.
    Don't work on developing an ego.
    Play often.

4. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i feel completly diffrent on this matter.

Thumb is fine, when that sound is needed. But take some lessons, at least learning basic finger picking. Bad technique can lead to some serious limitations later on.

Once you have the basic idea, changing to make it feel better, or sound better, whatever is always an option, but learning bad habbits to begin with can lead to things being much harder later on.

my 2 cents.
  5. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Welcome to the world of bass! Talk Bass is a great place to get good and helpful information.

I always like to direct bass newbies to Adam Nitti's website:

Adam is a monster player and a credible resource for bass study. Check out his lessons; especially the first 4 lessons listed.

Those four lessons should keep you busy for weeks. Take your time. You have the rest of your life to enjoy playing the bass.

6. Charlie 22

Charlie 22

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks for the info guys! :bassist: