1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Correct way to adjust string spacing on "Adjustable Bridge"

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ppal, Apr 1, 2013.

1. ppal

ppal

Sep 1, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I have a Hipshot adjustable bridge for my 4 string bass, whats the correct way to adjust the string spacing? should I move all four strings? or something I've tried keeping the D string relatively in the middle and move the G string up and the A, and E strings down. I think Ive read somewhere that for a Five string bass you move everything around the A string. Anybody know?

2. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    I set mine with the A in the middle, about 1/8" margin from the edge of the fret board for the B and G (depends on where the nut slots are and the taper of the neck) and then split the difference for the E and D.

mech

3. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    So that it feels right to you.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Unless the string alignment is out-of-wack in relationship to the neck and pups, I just center 'em and lock into place. I'm not that picky about string spacing. Same practice holds true for ABM bridges.

Riis

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

If you have exposed poles and appearance of having them in line matters to you, line em up and lock them down. If you don't like the spacing adjust it. Or set them all at center and forget it like Riis said.