Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

correli ...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jon Stefaniak, Dec 3, 2000.

1. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    now I know that there are a lot of people that love correli strings. but I don't.I've tried them on a couple basses (not mine) they're way too thin, the tension is too high, and the final result isn't that great. These are just my feelings, but they always feel poorly set up because of the strange tension. They just feel bad. does anyone feel this way?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Which Corellis?? The 370 series are the strings I am partial to, which use tungsten in their construction. They are light gauge and very low tension in comparison to most similar strings I've tried; I wonder if you are talking about the model 380, which are of conventional construction? I've not tried them.

3. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    i don't know which ones they were. the thinness was what bothered me most. They feel tight in relation to their thickness.

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    May be the 380s -- I have had all three gauges of the 370s on my basses and I find them very easy to stop with minimal finger pressure (even with my Fibromyalgia and picking up Lymes Disease this Summer). That includes the heaviest (370FX) and most taut gauge. YMMV of course. I guess it may depend on what you're used to.

5. I think it also Depends on the Bass. I Have the Correlis
    (370F) on my Juzek and they are just fine, But on My Kolstein Fendt they seemed too tight.Right now I'm using the Kolstein Varicores that came with it, but I'm not too crazy about the pizz sound. I might be trying a set of Obligatos soon, we'll see.

6. Probably 370TX. They are built tense , and stiff , very stiff. Maybe you should try the 370F or 380M.

7. .......Or the 380TX , but probably the 370TX because of the problem with thinness.