1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Featured Cort’s A4 Ultra Ash Bass Guitar Adds New Dimension

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jul 3, 2020.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA — Cort Guitars adds a brand-new dimension to its Artisan Series of electric bass guitars with the introduction of the A4 Ultra Ash. This high-end version of the A4 Plus features an ash top with black accents to create a layered, 3D-look. The carefully selected materials on this bass are not only aesthetically pleasing, but also tonally captivating. The A4 Ultra Ash comes to life with the newly developed Fishman® Fluence Bass Soapbar pickups and 2-band EQ, which will satisfy any hard-rocking modern bassist with its multi-voiced capabilities for a wide range of genres.

Designed with serious bassists in mind, the A4 Ultra Ash begins with the ultimate tonal wood complements. The ash top on the mahogany body ensures a great balance of warm, yet full and punchy-sounding lows, and bright, clear, and transparent highs. The neck-thru-body construction provides unbeatable punch and sustain, allowing the strings to vibrate across the body and neck in a coherent, linear manner and maximizing the tightness of the low-end with rich mids and singing highs.

Beauty and intelligence work in harmony for the A4 Ultra Ash, as evident with the 5pcs maple and panga panga neck (34’’ scale). The strength and brightness of maple is ideally balanced with the warm midrange of panga panga, which is also used on the 24-fret fingerboard (15.74’’ radius). As an African hardwood, panga panga has characteristics of wenge and produces a tight, coherent sound that mates extremely well with the multi-laminate neck-thru-body design. The combination of these features gives the A4 Ultra Ash its superb playability, feel, and tonal definition.

To electronically convey the natural tones of the A4 Ultra Ash, Cort relies on Fishman’s convention-disrupting Fluence Core technology. The original and totally reimagined Fishman Fluence Bass Soapbar pickups bring the revolutionary multi-voice performance, dynamic range, and articulation of Fluence technology to this instrument. Through magnetic technology, a single bass pickup can now produce multiple timbres and sounds, each untethered from the other and free from the hum, noise, and frustrating inductance issues that plague even the most coveted wire-wound pickups. The result is a revelation of pure, uncorrupted bass tone.

The versatility of the A4 Ultra Ash is maximized by the dedicated 3-way mini switch for multi-voice control. Voice 1 (passive) is ideal for classic, fat, and round tones; Voice 2 (active) is suited for full frequency and full dynamics; and Voice 3 (active with mid contour) is ideal for funk and modern, hi-fi, scooped sounds. Players can enjoy even more flexibility with a master volume knob that offers a push-pull pot for the coil split, along with a blend knob and 2-band EQ for treble and bass.

Hipshot® innovations on the A4 Ultra Ash are not to be overlooked. The Hipshot TransTone Bridge offers both a string-thru-body design, which improves tonal range while adding punch and enhancing sustain, as well as top-load construction to facilitate a quick string change. The design of this bridge also perfectly complements the longer 34’’ scale’s tighter string tension and focused sound. On the headstock, Hipshot Ultralite Machineheads offer a classic 20:1 tuning ratio. Made of cast zinc with aluminum string posts and mounting nuts, these tuners offer a 30 percent weight reduction over other regular tuners and facilitate improved balance and tuning accuracy. Black hardware adds a bold final touch to the A4 Ultra Ash’s natural style.
    Thoughtfully designed and gig-ready, Cort’s A4 Ultra Ash electric bass is the perfect companion for the working player at MSRP $1999.99 with hard case. Get a closer look and watch a demo video with a professional bassist at www.cortguitars.com.

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg IMG_3070.jpg IMG_3069.jpg IMG_3068.jpg IMG_3067.jpg IMG_3066.jpg IMG_3063.jpg IMG_3062.jpg IMG_3060.jpg IMG_3059.jpg IMG_3056.jpg IMG_3055.jpg IMG_3054.jpg

2. HG1180

HG1180

Aug 11, 2019
    Millsboro,DE
    I will definitely be purchasing one of these!

:drool::drool::drool:

PhillipHolbrook likes this.
  3. Traditional tonewood blabla, good hardware and pickups, well thought electronics... not a word on the nut (probably plastic) and the frets (you'll probably have to change them in 3 years if you play often). But in my experience, high range corts are, overall, really well made instruments.

Anyway, for 1 999$ : Meeh. But on the European market, it retails for 1 190 € with the gig bag and transport fee (roughly 1340$)... And now we're talking about a great instrument for the money !

wmmj, PhillipHolbrook and Obese Chess like this.
  4. baconisahat

baconisahat

May 7, 2020
    I keep alternating between looking at the photo of the backside, and looking at the price.

PhillipHolbrook and Charlzm like this.
  5. Markzts

Markzts

Aug 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    If they made one of these in 30" scale I would be in trouble since I already have more basses than I need ( I know this goes against typical TB wisdom - having too many basses that is ). When I played 34", my cort B4 was my favorite neck I ever played. I like the tones from the fluence pickups on all the demos I have listened to as well. Thru neck, hipshot hardware, what's not to like?

6. dune

dune Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Utah
    I really like this bass. I've never been able to get past the Cort logo. Not the name, just the logo - the font. I could make an exception for this bass, although rather than spending $1200 on a Cort, I'm more likely to just build up my own 5-string with the Fishman Fluence pickups.

PhillipHolbrook and Bikingbasser like this.
  7. Cort makes Fender, schecter, ibanez, etc. And fact is : they do great instruments for the money, it just happens they have bad rep because a great bass for 150€ is still a mediocre instrument. I've tried a lot of cheap Cort basses, not my cup of tea (cause I prefer 6 strings short scale ones), but can be good if you know how to set up your instrument. I had the opportunity to try intensively one of their high range guitars (almost 900$) and man, it would worth at least 1 200$ with a known brand name.

Don't judge a book by it's cover, and always try the instrument. I had the same opinions, but my fingers didn't lied when I picked up my jazzmaster (Aka rthe ugly duckling) or my Aria TA (Aka the 230$ second hand cheap ES-335 knock-off). Since then I still play good instruments and my wallet feels heavier. McCartney got very far with one of the cheapest basses of his time.

8. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Cool bass for sure. Have enjoyed the few Cort's I've played.

You must be really hard on frets!

9. I have to admit, with one hour of play every day, the fact I bend notes and chords a lot and my intense use of the vibrato... the stock mediocre frets get chewed up real quick (sad to say that stock Fender's are among the worst ones. Thoose that come on replacement necks are really better strangely. )

Also, I level the frets myself, so maybe, because of this focus, I tend to be a bit picky.

Once again, trying the instrument before buying is important, because corroded (even slightly) frets on a brand new bass/guitar is not a good sign. It's not a direct "no-no" but you'll need to keep in mind you'll have to know a good luthier and have to drop 150-300$ in the not so distant future.

10. It looks good and appears to be well constructed of good materials. Good bridge design, also.

I consider the inclusion of an active/passive switch super important. The third position of that switch seems intriguing.

The push-pull coil splitter really appeals to me, too.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    BeyondFiredUp and comatosedragon like this.
  11. dune

dune Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Utah
    If you haven't already checked it out, basstheworld reviews it with Ida Nielsen playing on YouTube. Seems to me like a very strong value proposition.

12. I have yet to find the nut width of this model anywhere on the web. It looks like 1.5" or 1.625" (not 1.75" to my eye). I might not be the only person curious about the width of the neck at the nut, so, anybody who knows for sure, please reply with the digits.

BTW, the radius of the fingerboard is pancake flat: 15.74’’.

BeyondFiredUp and comatosedragon like this.
  13. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA

wmmj likes this.
  14. Markzts

Markzts

Aug 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    The nut width is 1.625".

I used to have a B4 and the nut width on the B4 and A4 are the same ( A4 just being neck through is the only difference ). It was my favorite neck on any bass I have played, but I went all 30" scale a couple years ago so I gave the B4 a new home.

kodiakblair and GlennRH like this.
  15. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    For 2 grand?

16. dune

dune Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Utah
    From what I've seen online, they're $1200-$1300.

GlennRH and TN WOODMAN like this.