Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ruud Das, Sep 13, 2000.

1. I want to start playing a 5 string, and somebody brought the Cort R3535 to my attention. I played it a bit and it seems great. But I don't want to find out I missed something and regret my purchase after a few weeks. So any comments on this bass??

P.S. I mainly will be using it for rock and funk

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    a friend of mien bought one for his son recently and I thought it felt great. i'm no pro bassist ro anything, but i know what feels good to me.

3. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    Great bass. I like them a lot. Looks, slap 'tronics, great fretboard....it's got a lot of plusses, specially for the money, but if I had enough money, that's not what I'd get. If you have a G or more to spend, look at Peavy basses. They have, I think, the best electronics (second only to Zon, check those out too) and basically just feel damn good.

4. I played one. My guitarist has one for laying bass parts on demos. I play it occasionally. It's nowhere near the nicest bass I've played, but it is decent. It's a good low-end bass. It plays well enough. It appeared to be built well. I preferred to back the treble off on it to get a decent sound. After playing around with the tone controls a bit I was able to get a sound I could live with. Mind you that I am used to my Zon, so I may be spoiled. For a Cort, it's pretty good. If you have more money to spend, I'd look at other options, but I have played on two different Corts that were pretty nice.

5. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    Zons have wicked electronics, don't they, Brian?

6. Yes they do. They have custom made Bartolini pickups and preamps. They sound fantastic. You get what you pay for, and you pay a LOT for a Zon. I am afraid though that I may never like another bass again after being spoiled with the Zon. I just got a brand new ESP to try and it is difficult to evaluate it fairly because nothing compares to the Zon. The only other basses I've tried that would rival it were a really sweet Warwick that cost a fortune and a custom Warrior bass that played so nice and clean it was effortless, but it too cost a fortune.

The new Corts I tried really weren't bad. I was really surprised since Cort is known for their low-end cheapie copies. A guy I know has a really nice one.

7. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    Wow. Where did you play the Warrior?!? I've never seen one. Incredible guitars and basses.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Cort Artisan 6 is a very nice bass for the money. However, it's $1199 list (huge discounts on new ones, of course). My experience with the Artisan 6 has been very positive. Solid as a rock, well-made and plays very well. Sonically, it's got an impressive range of tones, too. If I may be forgiven a shameless pitch here, I own a like new A6 with a gig bag that I'm willing to sell for $475 plus shipping. Email if interested.

9. The bass player for the metal band Division owns one. We were hanging out together after a show and checked out each-other's basses. I thought that Warrior bass was one of the nicest basses I think I've ever played, and I didn't even have it plugged in! It was _really_ nice. I would love to have them build me one. You're talking about a lot of money though when you start talking about a Warrior. Maybe someday...

10. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I don't know if you've been to the web site or not, but they have pics of all their basses on it. WOW!! http://www.warrior.com 'case ya havn't seen it. They are the coolest looking basses. Those and Pedulla are both awesome. Plus Pedulla have great electronics.