1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cort A6 ot Peavey Grind 6?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olko, Aug 25, 2012.

1. olko

olko

Mar 6, 2011
    Slovakia, Kosice
    HI, i'd like to ask you, more experienced musicians, if i should buy cort A6 or Peavey Grind NTB 6 bass.

I'm new to 6 string basses and i wish it to be versatile for all styles => slap, fingering and taping (mostly tapping and fingering)

i have right now Cort C5H but going to sell it to get money for bass, also i didnt like how i couldnt get any decent tone from her and i blame active electronic but that miht just be plain wrong.

so, which is more versatile?

Thank you for your time :)

EDIT:
    I play in progressive metal band, but i play also in school band jazz blues and pop :)

2. olko

olko

Mar 6, 2011
    Slovakia, Kosice
    Anyone? :bag:

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I don't have experience with Cort in 5 or 6 strings but I do have experience with Peavey 6ers, the Peavey low B leaves a lot to be desired. It is super loose and not very playable in my experience.

Play both if you can before hand and see which you prefer.

4. olko

olko

Mar 6, 2011
    Slovakia, Kosice
    well theproblem is that i can't in my city they dont hold ANY 6 strings and also there aren't any peavey basses, i want to order it online so i wanted to know if someone has any actual experience wit hthem

at least thank you for information about B string, that certainly is a +1 fo cort then :D

5. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    Texas
    There is no comparison really, I had two Grinds and a A5 Cort.
    The Cort is much more bass but it will cost a lot more probably.
    Peavey Grind is a nice bass and the biggest difference between the two you listed is the scale the grind is 35" and the Cort (5 string) is 34".
    Bartolini Pickups
    Bartolini MK-1 pickups and MK-1 EQ

6. olko

olko

Mar 6, 2011
    Slovakia, Kosice
    yes thats on paper, but how are the basses? isnt that cort A6 like my C5h => only bass and treble so in band doesnt sound so good? :)

7. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    Texas
    No, it is exactly as stated;

It has a three band EQ
    Key Features

Neck-Thru Construction
    The Artisan A6 bass features neck-thru construction for superior tone and string vibration transfer.

Bartolini Pickups
    The A6 features Bartolini MK-1 pickups and MK-1 EQ which produce an organic "piano" type tone.

[​IMG]

8. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    Texas
    Here are the two Grinds I had;

9. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    Texas
    Here is the A5;

10. olko

olko

Mar 6, 2011
    Slovakia, Kosice

so if i can, should i get A6 and not Grind? :)

11. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    Texas
    Well money aside, the A6 has better everything, Hipshot bridge and tuners (Licensed), nice wood, Bert electronics and a 34" scale.

The grind has none of this, however it is still a very nice bass.
    The biggest thing is the scale, have you tried a 35" scale?
    I play only 35" scale now and this is the only reason I sold my A5.
    35" scale is not for everyone and if you are used to 34" you should try a 35 just to see if it is OK, but plan on playing it for at least 30 minutes because at first 35" does not seem like much but after a couple of hours you become acutely aware that it is different.
    It's one 1/2 inch longer on either side of the 12th fret but most of it is in the lowest registers.
    So be aware of the scale because it's very important...

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    ???

13. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    Texas
    Sorry typo 1/2" either side.
    Thanks

14. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Do you mean you notice the scale length more in first position? I have to agree with you on that.

15. olko

olko

Mar 6, 2011
    Slovakia, Kosice
    Well hardware wise, i was planing after getting grind to change tuners and bridge for gotoh or hipshot and pickups for EMG HZs

but then, i remembered about this good bass A6 and cannot decide, worst is i have no oportunity to play any

and does that mean the 35" is harder to play? (i have long fingers if thats the problems, on pano i can play from C to E without pan or anything :smug:

16. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  17. olko

olko

Mar 6, 2011
    Slovakia, Kosice
    These are far beyond what i have, i can have Cort A6 for 415EUR and Peavey for 419EUR and i hae 500 EUR ust must sell my bass and guitar :)

18. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    This can easily be fixed by switching strings. It's not the bass it's the string. All strings are different, some with very little tension and some with super high tension. Just like you can't go into Guitar Center and say you didn't like a bass because it was too clanky and it buzzed. Yeah that just means the bass needs to be set up properly. Anyhoo, going back to the thread, I've never played a Cort A6 but my first bass was a Cort A5 and I really liked it. However that A6 seems to be a full step up, Bartolini pick ups? Hell my Ibanez SR605 has MK-1's on it and they're magical! Wide variety of tones you can reach with them.

19. What about an Ibanez 6-er? Those are pretty good and they come at great price points. Are you even sure you want a six stringer? Why don't you go and hunt for any old 6-er and test it out first? Jumping into something like this without knowing whether or not you want it is always going to possibly be a bad idea.

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Just my humble opinion here, but before laying out any cash on either the Cort or Grind, I'd look around for a Peavey Cirrus BXP 6 string instead. Better tone than both of them, good construction, and very playable basses. Of course, all IMO.