Cort Artisan A5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Linas, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Hey, im new to these boards but i am planning on purchasing a used bass. It is a cort artisan a5 with the new bartonlinis. It is selling in mint condition for 350$ which seems like a steal. I was wondering what kind of experiences you have had with corts in general or even better this bass. Im going to check it out at the dudes house on this monday. its the middle bass

Heres the specs
    Scale: 34"
    Joint: Thru-neck
    Neck: 5 piece African wenge/maple
    Body: Figured maple
    Nut: Brass
    Fretboard: Rosewood
    Pickup: Neck-Bartolini MK-1
    Bridge-Bartolini MK-1
    Machine heads: Hipshot Lic.
    Bridge: EB12(5)
    Fret: Large (2.7mm x 1.1mm)
    No.Fret : 24
    Fretboard width: 1F:24F=45mm:68mm
    Fretboard radius: 15 3/4"
    Neck depth: 1F:12F=20.5mm:22mm
    Position Inlays: Abalone dot
    Electronics : 1vol, 1blend, 3tone (treble/middel/bass)
    EQ on-off switch
    Preamp:Bartolini MK1 EQ
    Hardware : Platinum
    Available color: NAT, GOL
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually, I just got back from vacation where I stumbled into a "small town" music store . Once inside I spotted a beautiful looking 5 string bass with a beautiul finish and excellent construction that also had:-

-Flame Maple top
    -A maple/Wenge laminated neck.
    -Neck thru
    -Bartolini pickups and electronics
    -Hipshot tuners.
    -A passive/Active switch.
    -Bass, Mid, and treble controlls that all sounded very useful.
    -Nice playability, though maybe a little narrow in the neck.

All this for 1/3 the price of a Stingray 5. It was a Cort Artisan 5,
    and I tell ya what, it was pretty darn good. This from a guy who plays a Stingray 5 and had been playing through a Musicman SUB only moments before.

It's the first Cort bass I've ever played and it won't be the last...........

Buy it!
  3. That switch isnt an active/passive switch its their "slap switch" it cuts the mids and boosts the bass and treble for instant slap tone. Its pretty cool, I have it on my Cort Curbow, which I like a lot.
  4. No, I think you're mistaken. I have a Cort A4 at my disposal, and I believe that, although the switch on the Curbow is an instant 'slap' switch, the switch on the Artisan is indeed an active/passive selector.
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    According to Cort's website, the switch is an EQ on/off switch and your friend copy-pasted the specs directly from Cort's website.

It's great that Korean made basses are so good these days. I mean, I'm old enough to remember when "Made in Korea" meand junk (i.e. Hyundai Excel) but then again, "Made in Japan" used to mean chintzy garbage in the late 70s/early 80s and look at "Made in Japan" now.

Anyway, I think the fact that the bass even HAS a passive bypass is excellent as a safety net for if a battery dies on you during a gig. This is especially good when the bass doesn't have a separate battery compartment and you have to unscrew a bunch of cavity screws to change it.

My bass doesn't have a bypass, so I had a luthier/repairman install a flip-up battery compartment on my bass so I could switch batteries in and out quickly.

Still, little niggles like that are not overly expensive upgrades, so if the bass has "the feel" where you just don't want to put it down, I'd go for it. Cort may not be a "cool" brand name like Spector or Warwick, but if the bass rocks, go for it. I'm sitting pretty with a Samick myself.