Cort Artisan A5's..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Jan 1, 2003.

1. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I'm new here, I did a search on the old threads on these, but thought I would have a different set of questions on this. I have recently been looking into buying my first 5-string bass, within my budget under $1000. I figure its a neck-through so it can't be that bad. PLus they come with Bart. pickups..

Any info on if this would be a sound investment for me, being I play Jam band stuff like Dave Matthews, Fish, etc. Or if you have any other basses I should look into.

2. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Corts can be nice, I have an action bass that I converted and upgraded into a very nice fretless. I will tell you that for the "less than $1000" batch of basses, there is no doubt in my mind the Lakland 55-01 is the bass to get. They might actually be made in the same factory, but I can't confirm that.
    Don't assume that the cort is a better bass because it is neck through. There are a lot of high end bass makers that find a bolt-on does some things better than a neck thru. By the way, the skylines come with barts too. If memory serves, the cort does not have strings through the body, and the lakland does.
    Also if resale means anything to you, check out to see which one holds value better. You could pick up a slightly used cort cheaper, but if you bought a lakland new it would retain it's value better.
    You might want to check out the "best bass for less that $1000" thread.
    One last thing, if you order one, make sure the salesman knows which A5 you want. According to this web site, the one you want is the NA5, not the A5. Online cort dealer
  3. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Would you say a Lakland 55-01 is better than an MTD Heir?
  4. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    tough call, as I have never played a heir. I have always found the lakland to be more of a bargain because it's active, and I like the string thru design. I you have a chance to play both of them, it would be a great matchup.

5. groovetoolz

Aug 5, 2006
  6. dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    I have had my Artisan A5 for neary a year now and I cannot put it down. It's very versatile and extremely playable. I think I paid around $800 for it and at the time I was fearful that it was going to be another one of those "this bass is way overpriced" situations, but it only took me about 15 minutes of playing it at home to realize it was a true find.

IMHO... you'll be very satisfied with the A5!
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I played a Cort Artisan at a GC once, and I was highly impressed. It seems like a great bass for the money. Those Heirs look killer, too (or the new MTD Zephyrs!), but I have not played them.

Another bass in that price range that you should really check out is the Brian Moore i5. I have an i4 (these are Korean made), and it just kills me that it is so good for the price. The workmanship and materials definitely exceeded my expectations, but they just play and sound great, too.

Hope this helps, Tom.
  8. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I gotta tell you, that site is not exactly reputable. The majority of those basses look nothing like real Cort basses. They don't have the signature cut-out on the headstock, only the "New" Artisans do. I've NEVER heard of the supposed "S" series they feature on the website. You can get a Cort for at least as good of a price from a much more reputable music site. It's just a little fishy.

9. emils

Jul 28, 2005
    I love my A4. While I was looking for a new bass that fit what I wanted, I tried few Ibanez basses, some Fender actives, and pretty much anything that had active electronics in it and found Cort to be best bang for the buck. It had the best bridge, brass nut, frets were perfect and I couldn't find any flaws on it, neck is really comfy and thin and it has a sound that I was after. I think that they are highly underrated basses and great value for money.

You should go out and try it first and see if it sings for you!