Cort Artisan B5 or Ibanez SR505?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bradweiser, Dec 20, 2005.

1. I'm looking to get a new bass and I've pretty much narrowed it down to one of these two (maybe a BTB405 though, I'll have to play one again to finally make a decision).

Just looking for opinions from others that have played or owned these basses to help sway me one way or another.

2. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Ive never played the B5 but i own the A5, which looks to be pretty close to the B5 but with a flame body and neck thru. I think cort makes a pretty decent bass for the price (i picked up mine for 350 which was a steal) and it gets a wide variety of sounds. I say if your getting a good deal on the bass, go with the cort over the ibanez.
  3. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Never played the ibanez but I love my Cort B5.
    With the two korean Barts and 3 band eq I can go from mud to brilliant slap and anywhere between.
    Nice tight, long neck jount, quality fittings and wood. Just feels great to play.
  4. Concidering they ratail at GC for about the same as an Active Corvette... Hell yeah you did!!!

Here's the Tale of the Tape (UFC fans get it, lol)

-Both have Mahogany bodies, Cort with the optional Swamp Ash.
    -African Wenge with Rosewood board bolt-on neck for the Cort.
    5-Piece Wenge/Bubinga with Rosewood board bolt-on neck for the Ibby.
    -Both sport Bartolini Mk-1 Pickups and 3-Band Preamp.
    -Both sport Abalone inlays. Ovals for the Ibby, and side dots on the Cort.
    -Both are 34" basses.
    -The Cort has hipshot tuners, a graphite nut, and a preamp bypass selector.
    -The Cort comes with black hardware, and the Ibby with cosmo black (I think chrome on the newer ones)

So, if you are going by physical specs, the Cort takes the cake by a machine head, pre bypass, and a nut. My suggestion to you is, to play both simultaneously for an extended amount of time, and see which one is more comfortable to yourself.

I can't find any online dealers that carry Cort Artisan. (MF only carries the Curbow's.) So I can't give you a compartive price. However, I'm sure the Cort doesn't retail fore much more than the Ibby, so in my opinion, a die hard Ibanez fan's, I'd honestly go for the Cort. I've only played an A5(superb instrument, btw a tad overpiced, imo.) but it was definately on par with an Ibanez SR900.

So in the end it's all subjective for you to decide. I just want to say, that if it comes down to how the bass looks, Ibanez has about as many shades of mahogany for the SR500's as are colors in the rainbow. So, get out, go play, and have fun. In the end, the decision you make should be your own, and influenced by noone but yourself.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The GC's in St. Louis have Cort Artisans and I have played them a bit. I really prefer the Ibanez SR-505. It is a mellow bass and small bodied, but I love its sound. If I could afford a harem, it would be one of my ladies!