1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cort Artisan vs Ibanez SRX 705

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Descended, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Descended

Descended

Jul 1, 2005
    Hi, I'm looking to get a new 5-string bass. I'm interested in the the Cort Artisan and Ibanez SRX 705, but unfortunately living in South Africa, stores don't stock many basses and I have no way of testing them for myself.

One of the store owners down here plays a Cort Artisan and says its great, but I've got nothing to compare it to.

So I'd like some enlightened perspective from the community, please?

2. Hey
    If you get an artisan, get an "A" model, not a "B" model. I know from experience. As for the SRX705, I'd shell out a few more $$'s and get an SR905. It still has the neck thru plus a curved body. Very comfortable to play. Also the Bart. pick-ups on the SR are better than the srx stock pups.

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I have a cort artisan A5, and i have gotten complimented on looks and tone several times. As well as feeling very nice to play, it doesnt look like they cut any corners on this one. and the 5 string has a small string spacing which i like.

4. gjazz

gjazz

Apr 11, 2006
    I am looking to buy either the high end Ibanez SR (905 maybe) or the Cort A5. I have played both and they play quite the same; very similar necks. The SRX, as I understand, has a wider neck.

Greg

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

The SRX neck dimensions are the same as the SR series. The SRX705 has a gloss coating the SRX505 has a satin. They actually have different pups as well, though they look the same. The SRX705 has Alinco and the SRX505 has ceraminc pups.

6. tolas

tolas

Mar 16, 2005
    I purchased the Cort A5 in the "rare" GOL color, and it is an absolutely stunning bass. The quality finish/wood/hardware/etc is top notch. It was my first time playing a 5 string bass. I ended up really not liking the low B string. Many people have said that this bass would be perfect if it was just a 35" scale to handle the low B better.

What I ended up doing was stringing it up like a tenor bass. Instead of adding a low B, I added a high C. (E-A-D-G-C).

Let me tell you, this bass was MADE to be strung this way. It suits my playing style perfectly, and the bass just loves it. The shorter spacing between the strings makes it play so nicely.

The low B was adequate if that's what you're looking for, but if you want to experiment, this bass will greatly reward you.

7. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    They are quite stunning.... and they play great...

Here's my baby!

Attached Files:

8. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA

Also the SRX 705 is a neck through and SRX 505 is a bolt on neck. Dimensions are basicly the same though. The access at the upper frets is a little easier on the 705 because the neck through has a smother, less blocky transition to the body than the 505.

I think the Cort or the SR905 has a more versatle electronics package than the SRX models.

9. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i prefer the SRX705. i really liked the sound i could get when i had one... it's probably those dual humbuckers. i played an A5 when i was at GC last time and i thought it was pretty sweet, too, but i just prefer Ibanez over all.